Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Last Second Bargains on Day of Departure?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard people talk about it but I am not really sure if it is true. Have any of you ever heard of anyone ever getting a great deal the day of the cruise because they still had rooms available? I have never been on a cruise before but we live 20 minutes away from Seattle so I thought I would look into it. Since we are both teachers we do have some time off this summer. I sure appreciate any advice we can get. Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Dave
Old May 27th, 2006, 10:31 AM
pat

Not since 9/11. No longer possible.
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:55 PM

It really wasn't true before 9-11 either.

There are usually some specials a few weeks out on any sailings with availability. These days, a lot of ships are going full and people are getting voluntary bump options to a later sailing.
Old May 29th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

I guess I better unpack my bags! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.
Dave
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:45 AM

Don't rush to unpack, Dave. Not sure about booking at pier but you can book with cruise line or TA as late as in the morning of the sail day - if available, of course. And there are still plenty of bargains for the beginning of June. For example, Sapphire Princess to Alaska on 06/10 is about $580 p.p. total inside cabin (not round trip Seattle though).
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:34 AM

A year or so ago we saw GREAT price on 8 day cruise ($379, Carnival Legend.) Saw this Thursday, talked with our TA, and put hold on cabin while we decided if we were going - the following Monday. That night left message for her we were going. She called me at 10AM NEXT morning to verify as bookings CLOSED at NOON that day - Friday for Monday sailing. Apparently they must send names of all passengers to Homeland Security that far in advance of sailing. This year booked on Tuseday for Sat. sailing --$299 balcony cabin!!!!! (We have great TA!) Once before 911 we booked for New Years at 10AM and ship left NEXT day! We drive from NC.
So, can no longer go to pier and get on a ship!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM
Suerich68

bonnie,

You must be retired?

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:59 AM

bonnie,

You do have a GREAT TA!! Does all the cruise lines work / run these deals? How can I find out about them??
Thanks!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 01:13 PM
esd

We met a couple on a cruise in 2000 who had booked the night before. But, yes, that was 2000. I'm working part-time at a TA and last Thursday evening I booked a cabin on Sunday's Sensation sailing. Earlier in the day it was supposedly SO but I checked later in the day and one cabin was available (someone must have had it on hold!) and this couple was ecstatic. I'm really not sure how close to a sail date you can book or if it's just whether cabins are available or not.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 02:52 AM

No, we're not retired just self employed. My husband finds good deals on line then we ALWAYS call our great TA, Ann Stilson (888-800-1177 or cruise [email protected]). Or we call her and she has great deals. We don't have to plan way ahead so can get last minute deals. If you call her you MUST say Bonnie from NC referred you. Ann only does repeat, referrals and groups. She is so busy she doesn't have time for just answering calls. Someone from this board called her and is VERY happy and pleased with Ann! Give her a call!