Search

Labadee options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Labadee options

I've booked my family on an RCI cruise that stops here. I was in Haiti in the mid '70s, and would like my kids to see at least a little of what I saw then. Are cruise passengers restricted to the beach area and/or excursions provided by RCI? Or, are there local guides with whom we might book an excursion of our own? Thanks.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:56 PM

I have often used Shoretrips.com to schedule excursions. You are not restricted to the cruise line's tours. I have not been to Labadee, but if it is a regular port of call, this website will offer excursions. They are also very helpful if you need to call them on the phone to ask questions. Good luck!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ksea, maybe I can use Shoretrips.com in the future. Labadee is a regular port for RCI, but I'm sensing it's more an area of Haiti than the name of a village. So what I'm asking may be akin to asking if there are other excursion operators besides Disney on the island Disney leases as a cruise stop.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Labadee is a beautiful beach with bar-b-que, walking paths,lookouts and shops.You really can just spend the whole day here and keep your money for another port as this is the one stop that is gratis from the cruise line.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 02:30 PM

Labadee is an area on the tip of Haiti which RCCL leases and manages. They have several employees living there. They restrict who can work and visit there. There are fences in the hills which block the area. If you like waverunners, the excursion goes down the coast quite a bit and you see some villages. I think the kayak trip is the same. You will not be allowed to leave the area. There are some locals in bvoats, though who will try to sell you things, lol! BTW, the snorkeling is terrible there. The nearby fishing villages have depleted the fish and the reef is pretty bad. Here's a good link:
http://travel.ciao.co.uk/Labadee_Haiti__Review_5532602

I don't know how old your kids are, but my 11 yr old really enjoyed the kids area ...a big water trampoline, etc. You pay for a half hour, I believe.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch for the info, particularly the link to the review. So, it appears we can't visit those nearby fishing villages... hmmm.... Since I'd read the snorkeling was great, I'd hoped our day at Labadee would be more a cultural experience. If anyone has any ideas about how to make it that, I'm all ears. And thanks again.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Ooops! That should read, "...the snorkeling wasn't so great.."
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:24 AM
emd

From what I hear, Haiti is not the safest place to venture out into outside of the fenced (and guarded) area at Labadee. There seems to a constant State Dept. warning about tourist safety there, esp. regarding toursit kidnappings for ransom.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_917.html
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that link, emd. Maybe we'll plan on the waverunners or kayaks, instead!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:38 PM

While Labadee itself is safe enough, it's treated as a private-island type of experience as a port call. And I would strongly caution you against trying to do more here. This part of Haiti is rather isolated, but I don't think Haiti is safe enough that I'd chance taking children out in the countryside, even if it were possible (which I understand it is not).
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the perspective, Doug. Comments like yours and the State Dept. warning stirred up memories of not feeling particularly safe there, even when traveling with a group. And I certainly don't want to put my family at risk.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM
emd

Most people I've talked to say they don't feel safe in port in Jamaica either. They seem to feel ok on the excursions, but not just walking around in port.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 06:25 AM

Talks about Jamaica being unsafe and dangerous look to me as an old outdated cliche, similar to bashing Carnival as cheap and drunk. I've been to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay many times, and every time it was a highlight of the cruise. I noticed the ports security was well organized. People are the friendliest I've seen. Of course no place is 100% crime free but Jamaica in no means is dangerous.