Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Just got back from Royal Olympic Cruise "Voyager"

Jun 6th, 2001, 10:27 AM
Mike

I just returned from the ROC Voyager's Three Continents Tour. Will answer any questions about this cruise for future cruise passengers.

Jun 6th, 2001, 05:48 PM
Andy

Mike- how was the line in general? Which itinerary did you do? How were the cabins? How was the service? Are the crew all Greek? Are the passengers mainly Europeans?

Jun 7th, 2001, 01:27 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Mike,

I have heard varied pros and cons concerning this fast ship.

I am sailing her at the end of this month. How was your cruise ..... generally speaking?

Paul

Jun 7th, 2001, 01:35 AM
Chris Philhower

Tell us more! Tell us more! We're going on the same cruise in August (yes, I know it'll be so hot the rubber will melt off the bottom of my shoes, but it was the only time we could go.)

Did you take their excursions or your own? How were they? Huh? Huh? Tell us everything!

We got a live one! I'm thrilled because the only things I can find are old posts in various sites (and they're not really relevant).

Thanks!!

Chris

Jun 8th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Mike

Andy,
I couldn't tell you about the line in general because this was the first time I was on this line. The Three Continents
Tour's itinerary includes Santorini, Alexandria, Egypt(2days), Rhodes, Istanbul, Kusadasi, Mykonos.
Not all the crew members are Greek. I would say about 80%. The service was very good. I got stuck with an inside cabin since I booked this cruise 2 months prior to departure. But I didn't really spend much time in my cabin.
About 50 % of the passengers are European and 50% Americans.

Jun 8th, 2001, 04:41 AM
Lisa

I'd love ot hear about your experiences in the ports. Did you do your own tours or ships tours? Particularly, Kusadasi, Alexandria and Istanbul. what di dyou like about them. What didn't you like.

Jun 8th, 2001, 05:33 AM
Mike

The Voyager is supposed to be the fastest cruise ship in service. Although I couldn't notice the high speed compared to other ships, the ship does have a lot of vibrations. The vibrations is especially noticeable in the dining room when the ship is backing ( in reverse), but you definitely can feel the vibrations throughout the entire ship

Jun 8th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Mike

Chris and Lisa,
I have heard a lot of bad thing about the food and I found that to be somewhat true. The appetizers, Greek salad and the bread are excellent. However, the main entree does taste pretty bland. The red meat are not so tasty. Worst hamburger I ever had in my life! We had a lobster one night and that was excellent.

Jun 8th, 2001, 05:56 AM
Mike

I chose the Voyager for it's itinerary and the fact that it is a new ship. I actually wanted to go on the Radisson's Diamond or the Renaissance but the sailing dates did not fit into my schedule. So I chose the Voyager.
The Voyager's decor is very nice and modern, and since the ship is only one year old, it is super clean everywhere.
Food, unfortunately is just average.
The Greek crew are extremely polite and friendly.
Now, as for the shore excursions, I have taken shore excursions on every port except for Mykonos. This is my recommedation. You can definitely venture out on your own in Santorini, Mykonos and Rhodes. 10 hour shore excursion to the Pyramids of Giza was excellent and worthwhile. The Ancient Ephesus tour was also very good in Kusadasi. Even in Istanbul, if you are adventurous, you can probably do it on your own. It's much cheaper. The Byzantine tour that I took basically takes you to the Blue Mosque, the Underground Cistern, Sophya Cathedral/Mosque and the Grand Bazaar.
Some of the shore excursions had a sale pitch at the end of the tour which was a big waste of time. I am sure ROC gets a percentage for bringing the cruise passengers. One of the things I didn't like about the iterary is that we had to stay 2 nights in Alexandria because of the political unrest in Israel. I would have preferred to go to another Greek island or stay in Santorini or Mykonos longer. There really isn't much to do in Alexandria. I took the half day city tour in Alexandria and then in the afternoon, I ventured out on my own. Please be aware that you may feel very uneasy of venturing out on your own in Alexandria. I believe I was the only person from the cruise to do this. I am in my 30s, live in NY and very street smart so I had no problem with kids and Egyptian men accosting me but most likely you will be the only none Egyptian on the street.
If you decide to do this, dress appropriately. No shorts despite the fact that it is 100 degrees F. You will be the only one with shorts on.
The problems in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul and Kusadasi is that the salesmen/ merchants are very aggressive.
If you are not used to something like this, you maybe overwhelmed. Another thing, if you are a single female traveler, you better stick with a group.
Although Istanbul is supposed to be one of the safest cities in the world, it certainly didn't feel like it.

Jun 8th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Chris Philhower

Thanks Mike! I appreciate all of the info! I'd heard the same about the food only being so-so. I'll fill up on appetizers, bread and salad, and hold out for the lobster!

Jun 9th, 2001, 01:28 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info.

Tell me .... since you walked Mykonos on your own, please tell me ..... what did you find to see and do in the evening?

I have been on the shore tours for all the other islands therefore I am hiring a car and driver to show me additional areas.

I have not hired a car in Mykonos as yet since it does not seem to be necessary. Am I correct? It is the only island I have not visited in the past.

Paul

Jun 9th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Mike

Paul,
One of the gripes I had about the Voyager's itinerary is that we were in Mykonos for only 4 hours (7PM-11PM). Mykonos is known for its fine beaches but since we only had 4 hours in the evening, no one can go to the beach. Only shore excursion offered by ROC at Mykonos was dinner with Greek folk dance. Not that many passengers signed up for this. It is better to have early sitting for dinner because you can actually eat dinner on the ship from 6PM-7PM and then go ashore. You only have enough time in Mykonos for souvenir shopping and walking the narrow streets. I didn't see any cars on these streets since it's for pedestrians only. Since I am an avid photographer, I went up the hill by the windmills and took some beautiful shots of the sunset. From there, you can also view what's called the "Little Venice".
Mykonos is a nice place. I 'll someday return and spend several days here.

Jun 9th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Paul Therault

Thanks so much Mike, you just saved me $135 for a tour with car and driver (there was a tour guide for $90 but they wanted credit card payment in advance).

You are also correct about the ship's standard "folkloric" show. I have been to a few of them and find them a waste of money.

I love the small streets and am pleased one can take pictures of the windmills without the expense of touring.

Thanks again.

Paul

Jun 9th, 2001, 06:17 PM
Lisa

Thanks, Mike.

Jun 9th, 2001, 07:21 PM
Rita

If you are looking for a review on this ship I have written a fairly lengthy one on the Cruise Critic website (cruisecritic.com) Go to the forum section and look under Cruise Review of the Week Submissions -- it is fairly far back now (page five or so).

I've cruised three times on this ship (once on the Med itinerary mentioned here). Any questions post or email me. I will try to answer them.