Search

Jumping Ship

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:59 AM
ape
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jumping Ship

We are going on a 5 nite on carnival holliday to Playa Del Mar and over to cozumel is it possible to jump ship at playa and catch up the next day at cozumel so we can spend more time snorkeling.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:47 AM

ape-

If you do "jump ship", make sure you tell the purser's office so no one has to look for you...

BUT be sure to take your PASSPORT,DRIVERS LICENSE,and Credit cards if you need to get transportation to the next port...

Cruise ship has no obligation for getting you to next port if you miss the embarkation...
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:02 PM

Interesting question... do you mean Playa Del Carmen? Haven't heard of Playa Del Mar before. If it is PDC, then it's just a quick ferry ride over to Cozumel, but are you saying that you want to get a hotel for the evening in PDC and get back on the ship the following day? Logistically it would be pretty easy to do. Not sure what they would do if you don't re-board for the evening though. Like andy said, you should probably let them know ahead of time.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Bo

I'd reconsider this....

what if weather gets rough and the ship doesn't make it to the next port?

I just don't think it's reward is worth the risk. Stick with the cruise's itinerary and make a separate land vacation if you really want to spend more time on a given island.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:05 AM

If it is PDC, you are usually at PDC the same day you are at Cozumel so I am not sure how you would spend the night and then catch up.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 11:58 AM

beachdreams,
If you look at the itinerary for the Carnival Holiday, they do show stopping at PDC one day and then Cozumel the next day. But Bo brought up a good point, if the weather turns iffy and they decide to cancel the scheduled stop at Cozumel the next day, it could be a big problem.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 01:00 PM

The couple of times that I sailed that route the ship dropped the passengers off at PDC for shore excursions and continued on to Cozumel(its only about 12 miles)for the day/night. The passengers who were taking shore excursions from PDC would take the ferry over to Cozumel afterwards to reunite with the ship.Most ships don't overnight in Cozumel but set sail late in the evening.The high speed ferry takes only a 1/2 hour to cross over so check the ships departure time and the ferry schedule....with luck you're good to go.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:51 AM

I have a friend who did this earlier this year,the cruise that is...The ship docks at Playa at 9am and sails at 6pm.....it sails about 50 miles away and then turns back towards Cozumel docking Cozumel the next morning at 8am.Since Playa and Cozumel are only 12 miles apart,the ship gets too far away for my own comfort IF I were "jumping ship" as you describe..Chanaces are nothing unroutine will happen, but is it worth the chance that something will prevent the docking at Cozumel?IMHO, no...HTH......S
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 09:01 AM

Sorry I did not realize that it went to each place on a different day. Everytime I go, we have stopped the same day for both PDC and Cozumel. Typically they drop off the people going to PDC first and then the people going to Cozumel.