Is it worth it with a baby?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to hear from anyone who has taken an infant with them to Alaska. Obviously, she's not going to get anything out of it(would be about 18 months at time of trip),but I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to take advantage of any of the excursions if she is with me. I'm sure I'd have seperation anxiety if I left her home for the week,but I don't want to not be able to enjoy the trip,either.Let me know!
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 11:42 AM

Just my opinion. I've never even been to Alaska, but I wouldn't take my 18 month old on a vacation anywhere. Don't worry about separation anxiety.
You're entitled to have a good time without the little one always being with you. You wouldn't enjoy the excursions as much while tending to her.
If someone is willing to babysit, take advantage of it! Many people don't, and they HAVE to bring the baby along.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 12:05 PM

I wouldn't go on a cruise with a child this age; however, we have travelled with our boys since they were infants. It's just a different type of vacation--we went to Vancouver Island when our youngest son was about this age. We stayed in a B and B type place that had an actual apartment that we rented. I have a great picture of my son with raspberry juice all over his face when we were picking berries that grew wild by the building. We played on the beach a lot and took hikes with him in his backpack. Also went to the beach in Mexico with baby this age and to Banff and Lake Louise (more hiking with the kid in the backpack).
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 01:47 PM

Obviously gotribe doesn't have a small child. My wife went crazy once when we went to Europe and left our infant home with grandma.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 02:29 PM

You're correct. I don't have a young child NOW. He's a teenager. We went on vacation for a week when he was 12 months old and left him with grandparents. Also when he was 3 and 4 years old. We needed the time away.
We knew he was in good hands. Grandma and Grandpa loved it, he loved being with them, and we got a much needed break. Everyone was happy.

When he was between the ages of 5-9, we took him to Disney/Epcot, et. al. three times. We took him to Niagara Falls twice. He's been on two cruises in his teen years.

Everything Works If You Let It.
Old Sep 10th, 2003, 03:33 PM

Dear klr6773,

I've taken my son (now 3 yrs. old) on vacations with us since he was an infant. Long car trips, from 6-14 hours, I've taken him on planes cross country. I've done this mostly by myself, because of my husband's work schedule.

All of these vacations were ones he could benefit from... his first beach experience, visiting dear friends who live far away, AND had children his age. Then, of course, there are always trips to visit my family which live 6 hours away.

Then... there are the vacations that I would NEVER take him on. These are the trips that are for Mommy & Daddy. Ones that he wouldn't be able to appreciate and ones that he would be a major roadblock to Mom's enjoyment of the trip.

Please, dont get me wrong. I love the little guy to the ends of the earth and miss him terribly when we leave him with Grandma. But some things are meant for adults and some things are meant for adults and children together.

Left him for 11 days last March to cruise the Carribean. Missed him miserably, but it was still the best vacation of my life. Great way to re-connect with hubby, especially when you have a small child who requires alot of your time.

This, of course, is just my humble opinion. It's very individual decision and depends alot on who you leave him with. You've got to have a good support system to be able to do this without remorse and anxiety on your trip. As 'gotribe' said, some people don't have the luxury of going on vacation without the baby. You should go and take advantage of the opportunity. Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Jody
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 11:39 PM

We have 2 teenagers and have always traveled with them - we had no one to leave them with when they were young (very small families - very elderly grandparents, etc.) and now that they are teenagers we would not think of leaving them at home (and they actually still want to travel with us).

As an earlier poster discussed, you just tailor your trips to the kids' ages - not saying they rule the vacation world, but you try to compromise what you want and what they would, at a very young age tolerate, and when they are older, enjoy.

I think it might be so energy-draining to keep a kid that age amused and civilized in Alaska so that parents could enjoy trip that it might not be worth it. Alaska will still be there when she is older - we are thinking of taking our teenagers there next summer - and I predict you will be exhausted when you return if you go now.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Jodylynne says, "All of these vacations were ones he could benefit from... his first beach experience, visiting dear friends who live far away, AND had children his age."
How can an infant (under 3) benefit? What benefit is a 6 hour car ride? He's too young to remember ANY of his "beach time." How many "dear friends" does an infant have, that he can visually recognize and remember for more than an hour?
I think you meant to say that YOU benefitted from bringing him along.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:16 PM

I recently returned from an Alaskan cruise with a family group which included a 20 month old little girl. She had a fantastic time and was certainly the center of attention. The staff and fellow passengers just couldn't get enough of her. She is one blessed with a "always happy" disposition. You know your daughter and how she reacts with so many new and strange faces. Personally, at 18 months I could never have been away from my child for a whole week....a night here and there yes, but not a whole week. These are things that ONLY YOU can decide.

The other thought....Alaska isn't going anywhere. You could wait a couple of years until she's about 4 when she would get lots more out of it. Alaska is magnificent and someday you must go there!
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 04:57 PM

In response to the earlier post by thulewx...

Please let me clarify my earlier post:

My son's 1st beach exp., at age 2, he most definitely has memories from and I know this because we talked about what we did at the beach last year, on this year's trip.

The "dear friends" are my dear friends, my son did not know them, but got to know them and still recognizes them because we have photos in our house. The point of the original statement is to stress that when I visit friends, it makes it a more interesting trip for him if they have children.

The 6 hour car rides, we either do at night so he can sleep, or we talk and listen to music, sing and point out things of interest. (At age 3, things of interest are water towers, cows, silos and big trucks.)

I take exception to the comment that I am the one that benefited from taking him along on these trips. I don't know if you have children... and I guess it really doesn't matter. Every parent/family is different. For my part, trips with my child are just that, trips. They are not vacations. I enjoy spending time away without my child and I know alot of other moms who feel that way. Does it make me a bad mom? Absolutely not. I merely enjoy time to myself, to interact with other adults occasionally without the distraction of a child. And also to rest.

I made the statement in my post to 'klr6773" that it's a very individual decision, taking a child on that type of vacation. My understanding of a message board is to find out information about certain topics and ask advice of others with experience. Not to criticize those who share an opinion. Am I wrong about this, too?
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Ok, now! Please don't throw stones on my account..I don't like personal attacks-especially because of something I brought up!
To clarify, my daughter's father really isn't in the picture,so it's not the romantic getaway I'm after.I've narrowed my dream trips down to Alaska and Australia.(Doubt that one will happen!) The more I think about it, I know I can't leave her for a week. I should have admitted that I miss my dog terribly after a week-but atleast HE doesn't stop my travel. She is obviously different. She has a wonderful network of Grammie and Aunts and Godparents that would love to take the trip,too.We can all partake in watching and amusing. I just wonder if I can still do things like land on a glacier,or well..what ever you do there!I can wait until she is older if I'm not going to really "do Alaska" the way I would like. I'm sure the glaciers won't melt that much....If you could all stop using aerosols I might have a chance!!!
Kel
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:41 PM

Our last cruise the sea was a little rough and my 6-year-old got seasick. He was fine with a little medicine from the crew, but there were little ones abroad that looked so miserable. I would save the cruise for when she's older.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:25 PM

Not only will the 18-month old be a tremendous burden on you, think of the potential unfair impact on the other passengers, most of whom have already been through the toddler stages with their own children. A little consideration for others, please! My suggestion is that you wait another year or two and take your then 3 or 4-year old to Anaheim or Orlando.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

David,excuse me for being annoyed at your posting,but why do you assume that my child would be a bother to anyone, or that I would allow her to bother anyone?....she's probably more entertaining than half of the people I've dined with on the other 3cruises that I've been on.I hate to break it to all of you who don't have kids,(or the ones who have grown up kids and have forgotten) but there is a lot more to see in the world for people with kids than Disney!Which,by the way, I've been to twice and have little desire to return to. Cruise lines and resorts make a mint off of families, and even the highest end resorts cater in some way or another.Why should those who have the money to travel be stuck at Kiddieville motel because we decided to enrich our lives in other ways by having kids? What a close minded man you are!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

By the way, David, don't you think that parents with kids REMEMBER the infant and toddler years that they experienced? Sorry my kid couldn't have been born 5 years old so as not to inconvenience you! I would expect that it would be those very people that understand a child and would offer a little lattitude if say, God forbid, she did misbehave for a moment..by the way...my daughter is waving Hello. She's learning how now ...and I'd take that over ANY vacation I will ever go on. You don't stop living your life because you have kids.Its a shame that you Zeus types can't remember that.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:17 AM

I also disagree with David. On many of my cruises the small toddlers/kids are likely the center of attention by fellow passengers of all ages.

It is the older kids that are allowed to run loose through out the ship with NO parental supervision that are the annoyances....certainly not the kids under 5.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 12:50 AM

You know, I am not a parent, and never will be, but it is kind of funny how people think they are SO superior because they decided to bring their children along on vacation, no matter what age they are. Well, I think it is OK to leave your children with your grandparents unless they are really disabled. I use to love spending time with my grandmother and TG she lived in a different house, but on the same property as my family home. It was great. I think the originator of the thread is right, adults need to have a life outside of being a parent - an 18 mo old has no recollection of events. I can't really remember anything myself under 4 yrs of age.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 02:30 AM

My son's first trip to Disney was when he was almost six (he's a teenager now), and he says he barely remembers it.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

As I've been reading the posts over the last week ,I've gotten some very good insights and diverse opinions.I have decided to hold off on Alaska...not because of the nastygrams about how children are a bother but for the simple fact that it will be a once in a lifetime trip,and I want to share it with her,so she can remember it with me.I went from swearing I'd never have kids,to realizing that she is the center of my own little universe.One which I am not ready to leave behind....I'll just keep watching National Geographic and the Travel Channel! I appreciate all of your time and thoughts.
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 04:49 PM

I just read through this thread and find the various opinions interesting.

We cruised with my daughter, son-in-law and their 18 month old and it worked perfect. My daughter couldn't stand the thought of being away from the baby for a whole week. With 4 adults to take turns with the baby, the parents never felt overwhelmed. As some one else mentioned, on a cruise you will be amazed at how the baby will steal the show. Total strangers will want to play with her. If you can't cruise with other adults to help you out a bit, I think it is a wise decision to wait until she's just a little older. The entire Alaska experience may be more meaningful for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -