Is it too early to book a November cruise?

Mar 21st, 2003, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Is it too early to book a November cruise?

I see in the message strings that a lot of folks book cruises just a couple of months ahead. If I am certain now that I want to sail on the RCCL Rhapsody on the Thanksgiving week cruise, and I buy insurance to cover illness etc, is there any reason I should not book it now?

After reading the raves for Cruisequick.com on this board I requested a quote from them and was blown away by their low price. I'm ready and anxious to book it!

My main reason for wanting to book early is that we are going as a family and want to have a good chance of getting three adjoining cabins. Also, RCCL's prices for this cruise are a bit higher for the Thanksgiving week sailing, probably because a lot families also like the idea of combining a vacation with 'holiday' days from work. If there is any possibility the cruise will sell out, I don't want to lose the opportunity by waiting too long.
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:48 AM

I would book now.

RCCL has been very good about adjusting prices (price drops) up until the time that people sail. Other cruise lines seem to do it up unti final payment time

So if the price goes down, just email CruiseQuick and they most likely will adjust your fare.

I would look into 3rd party insurance (Access America and Travelguard) to cover pre-exisitng conditions. Those seem to be the most popular right now.

I have sailed a couple of times over holidays. One year, our Thanksgiving sailing sold out months in advance. Last year, we booked a Christmas sailing 5 weeks before we sailed. Too hard to predict what this year will bring. I would book it if this is what you really want. I was looking last night at a Christmas/New Years sailing on another ship for this year and it was already waitlisted.
Mar 22nd, 2003, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Theresa. I appreciate your recommendation and comments and will book soon.

Regarding the fantastic price quote from Cuisequick, today they sent an "oops" email stating they inadvertently based their quote on the cruise departing the following week (non-holiday), so the "corrected" price for one cabin is $600 higher than the price they quoted yesterday. Bummer.

It's still a discount, but this mistake makes me reluctant to book through Cruisequick. Of course I could raise a stink and try to force the original quote, but quite frankly life is too short to waste my time in an email war with them (no phone number or address) and raise my blood pressure in the process.
Mar 24th, 2003, 08:44 AM

You can't "force" the original quote when nothing was booked. Sounds like an honest mistake to me since they emailed you right away.
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:15 PM

I would book now - especially if you have to have the 3 cabins next to one another. We're going to cruise the first week of Nov & I'm planning on booking in the next week or so.

Make sure they'll lower your price if you do book early - usually up until your final pmt date with upgrades or onboard credits given if the price goes down after your final pmt is made.

Collina
Mar 27th, 2003, 05:29 PM
dp

Definitely get insurance covering pre-existing conditions and check and see if it covers weather-related issues (don't know if you can get that or not) as November is still considered hurricane season.
Mar 29th, 2003, 01:21 PM
esd

Leegull,
Have you already booked? We are looking at (around) the same time, on the Rhapsody, and I don't see that big a difference from TG week with the weeks before or after. I'm looking at icruise. You may already have checked the prices on other sites.
Apr 5th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Absolutely book now. If you book through a good TA, any sales in the future you can take advantage of to get an even lower price, and the advatage is yuo will beable now to pick a preferred room of your choice, prefferred times, and have more time to ready your finance for it. I also recommend you purchase the insurance at time of booking so that it will cover preexisting medical prob;ems if there are any. Remember you have a significant amount of time to cancel too without penalty if you need to.