Insurance for a cruise

Jan 15th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Insurance for a cruise

Questions about insurance.
1. Do you always buy insurance from the cruise line?
2. Does anyone ever buy insurance independently?
3. Does any one ever not buy any insurance at all?

Would appreciate opinions pro and con about these options. Thanks in advance.
Jan 15th, 2007, 12:31 PM

There are two ways to go depending on your age: If your younger ie under 55
STA is the best cheapest.
http://www.statravel.com/
if on the other hand your old like myself
then Insure my trip lets you compare lots of plans to see what works best for you.
http://insuremytrip.com
sta runs about 120-150 insur my trip
runs about 300 air\plane\health
Jan 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM

We always buy insurance, but never from the cruise line--especially after we were booked on a cruiseline that went bankrupt four days before we were scheduled to leave.

Even though we are in relatively good health, I have elderly parents, and would want the flexibility to cancel a trip if they needed me. Plus, health problems can crop up unexpectedly (I went to the MD with a severe stomach ache one morning, and had gall bladder surgery the same evening).
Jan 17th, 2007, 01:48 PM

Agree 100% with Abram and JoanneH.

insuremytrip.com is easy and cheaper!
Jan 18th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Be sure you look closely at what the policy will allow. Abram's suggestion of cancelling a trip to care for elderly parents would not be covered by many policies. Each is very particular and will only cover certain things.

Some people make the mistake of buying it thinking that if they should change their mind they can always get their money back from the insurance... wrong!

Almost no insurance will allow you to just cancel ... you must cancel for a covered reason, such as sickness (with doctor certification) that will not allow you are your partner to sail, etc.

It can give you peace of mind.

An old saying about insurance that really makes sense is "never ask what the insurance policy covers...ask what it does NOT cover".
Jan 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Good point, Hold, which reminds me of another one: always buy the insurance with a few days of booking your trip. It covers more (like pre-existing conditions etc) and is cheaper than waiting.
Jan 18th, 2007, 10:19 AM

We always buy it, for the same reason as Abram, from a company called Access America through our t/a.

It's a very small price to pay for peace of mind.
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM

We are older than 55 and currently have insurance through STA and is so much cheaper than previously when we used insuremytrip coverage.
It covers immediate family members....parents, children, grandchildren. Also covers preexisting condition if purchased within so many days of your initial trip deposit. Can't recall exact number of days right now...but think it is about 3 weeks.
I have read good reports about the company. So even if you are older you might want to check them out.
Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:39 AM

Some people we know also buy a yearly policy with Medjet Assist, which covers flying you home on a private medjet if you are hospitalized at least 150 miles from home and want to be transferred to a hospital near home. It covers you on any trip on any venue. Has anyone heard about this company?
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM

Yes, I have carried Medjet for years. There have been some posts about it on other forums. I feel much more comfortable having it as even though some policies say you have evacuation insurance, they only take you to the "nearest suitable facility".
Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:55 PM

Cruise Line INS sometimes offers a different feature too ...If the medical claim reimbursement reasons do not apply to you, many will allow you to cancel for "any reason" and get 50-75% of the cost back in a voucher for future travel. No refund but another option just in case.
Feb 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Be sure to check TravelGuard.com too. They have 3 or 4 policies with different coverage amounts to choose from. (IMPT>Make sure you include non refundable air and any hotels you pre booked too.) You can pick the one for your particular needs. Fro example, I have comprehensive medical insur. so their med coverage isn't very impt. The more expensive the premium, obviously the broader coverage you get. They even have one policy that has a cancellation due to "change of mind". We take one that covers us if our elderly parents need us home. ANd yes, sign up early enough to get the "existing condition" included. I had a minor heart attack, and if I should have another I wouldn't be covered if I didn't have the existing con. DON"T buy from a travel agent. They hike the price so the agent can get a commision. SOme agents will really push. Be smarter.
Feb 25th, 2007, 08:12 AM

Have been cruising for over 20 year and NEVER leave home without travel insurance..things happen even before a cruise or on a cruise..never mind a land vacation (take it from one who knows)...no matter what you age.. NEVER buy insurance from the cruise lines and Travel Guard and Insuremytrip are two good sites.
Feb 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM

We had a car wreck in S Africa, plus I had to use the hospital on a cruise ship twice- (once for stitches, another from an infected burn) Both times insurance kept me from paying one cent. A small price to pay, IMO.
Mar 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM

I always buy travel insurance. Before our Antarctica cruise my DH passed away. Thankfully our month long cruise was covered. I not only got the entire amount repaid but also my single supplement when I decided to go solo.I never buy from the cruise line. If they go under, I lose nothing.

In Canada we do not have the possibility of getting coverage for pre-existing conditions. One must be medically "stable" which means having no change in medication for 180 days previous and no overnight hospitalization. If I had the possibility to buy it I would jump on it.
Mar 5th, 2007, 08:26 AM

I would not think of taking a cruise without the insurance. You can get the best for you from your TA do not get it with the cruise line.