Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

How much Euro should I take on 2 week cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone recently come back from a cruise in Mediterranean? How much money did you take in Euro's. I was curious because there is such a big spread between what Thomas Cook Travel will convert Canadian $ at

Buying is at 1.6425
Selling back is at 1.4510 That's a 19 cent spread!

I was hoping someone could advise how much I would need for pocket money traveling from Barcelona to Italy / Greek Islands. I was going to charge most things on my credit card, but am sure I will need cash for Greek Islands. The last time I was there - 12 years ago, the shops frowned on credit cards and would charge more if you were not paying in cash... but I was a student then and shopped in inexpensive places.
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 04:00 PM

On the Europe Board, they all tell you to use an ATM card locally to get cash....

We did that on a Med Cruise a few years ago....They had one in St. Tropez about 2 blocks from where the cruise ship tendered....

Also you will be able to buy EUROS in the AIRPORT when you arrive on foreign soil....So don't worry....

And I imagine the ship will also convert Euros to dollars but their prices will probably be as bad or worse than Thomas Cooks....
Old Jun 27th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Bootman4U

DON'T BUY Euros at an airport..use the airport's ATM...much better rates to include bank kiosks.

Old Jun 27th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on ATM's but.... my husband lives in the stone age and we do not have an ATM card... I know, in this day and age, everyone except myself has an ATM card! He does not trust debiting or withdrawls from an ATM so we carry cash and credit card only. That means I have to convert the cash at my local bank. How much Euro's do you think a family of four ( 2 kids under 10) need on this 2 week vacation? We will be on the ship 12 days and on our own for three days. I know you must think we have to be over the hill old...but we are not, we are just backward but this is the way my husband is. I just recently got him to try internet banking for bank transfers only. He refuses to pay bills over the internet, he wants a cancelled cheque as proof of payment. It is easier to just bring Euro's than to get him to accept an ATM card... and overseas, forget it . He is unable to adapt.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 02:37 AM

Do not exchange at the airport. It is a rip off.

The exchange rate is really poor right now. I had no problems using cards in Italy and go 1-2 year. I have not been to Greece in nine years so my info is old.

If you cannot get your husband to bend in the interest of money and safety and allow you to get an ATM card, I would suggest 1000 dollars minimum. That will buy about 800 Euro.

If you have Amex there are Amex offices in many cities where you can get a cash advance and you can also do this at a bank with a VISA or MC but this is more expensive than an ATM.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:21 AM

Most credit cards are good for cash at ATMs you just need a pin number. Check with you card company. Almost everything can be paid for with a credit card. Just bring several in case one doesn't work. MasterCard and Visa are best. Don't bring American Express travelers checks. Merchants wouldn't accept them and most banks wouldn't cash them.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Yes an ATM will give you the best rate in each port but then you have to find a place that will take your bank's ATM card. Just exchange your money on the ship at the pursers desk and just get a small amount you'll need in each port for taxis, food and sightseeing. For large purchases use your credit card to get the best exchange rate. Many places in Greece will take US dollars but I'm not sure about Canadian.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:53 AM

Like most we always use our ATM card for local currency, but since this isn't a possiblity....Do you have a AmEx card? We normally get some Euros off our AmEx card so we have some available upon arriving. You do it all by phone and they mail them to you. We feel better arriving in Europe with about $100 in Euros, then use our ATM from there on.