Hiring A Cab Driver

Search

Hiring A Cab Driver

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiring A Cab Driver

When we get to port in Jamiaca and Cozumel will we be able to hire a cab driver to take us around and wait for us at certain destinations? Will they wait a couple of hours for you? We are afraid if we get dropped off, we might not be able to get a cab back to the ship if it's not a highly visited tourist spot.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 09:47 AM
P_M

This was a land trip, but we had no trouble hiring a cab driver in Jamaica for the day. Just be sure to make it clear it's an all-day tour, negotiate the price in advance, but do not pay in advance. Also be aware that traffic in Jamaica is pretty bad, so allow a generous amount of time to get back to the ship. I have also hired cabbies in different parts of Mexico for the day, no problems at all.
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 10:09 AM

I have hired cab drivers in Cozumel with no problems. He did not wait for us, we did not request it. But it was no problem finding another one to take us back to the ship.
It helped that I speak Spanish
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Do a deal with a cab. You don't pay until the trip is over so he has to wait
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 05:01 PM

I've been to Cozumel once before w/ my family and the the taxi stand seemed organized. The cab fares were written clearly, but still negotiate the price before you get in. If you just want to go to one specific location, like we did, we made sure there was a taxi stand before ours left. If not, you can probably ask where to hire a cab back to the ship. We even had an instance where the cab came back for us at a specific time.

We didn't have a problem communicating w/ our cab driver. Maybe we just got lucky. But I would imagine if you go to a popular tourist spot/location, they'd know how to speak English.

Hope this helps.

Liz
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 04:17 AM

We have hire a cab in both spots. Going to the national park in Cozumel the cabs are right as you get off the ships and they don't need to wait. There are many cabs at the park to take you back. With a family you might need a larger cab which is more of aproblem. Cabs are $10 to the park and the entrance fee is $10 when we were there.In Jamiaca the cabs were also available where you get off the ship. If you are going to Dunn River falls they don't need to wait as there are plenty of cabs. Sometimes we have had cabs come back at a certain time especially if we wanted to tour around after the falls.
In the Caribbean we have had cabs for all day. At beaches they can protect your valuables. If you go to the two places I mentioned there is lockers available at these spots.
Do talk to the cab driver to make sure they speak English if you are hiring them for the whole time.