Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever been on Costa to Italy/Spain?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 08:02 AM
Gina

My husband and I are considering taking a cruise to the Mediterranean for a change of scenery. We have been on Carnival to the Carribean twice, have loved both cruises, but have never been to Europe. Has anyone been on Costa to Italy/Spain/Portugal? If so, how was it? When is the best time to go (weather-wise)? What ship, etc? Thanks!

Old May 1st, 2001, 02:05 PM
neviboy

We took Costa to the Baltic. NEVER AGAIN WITH COSTA. Unless you speak Italian and can put up with noisy, aggresive Italians who comprise 75% of the passengers, then O.K. The food apart from the pastas is horrible. Most of the key staff don't speak much English, so prepare for frustrations.

Old May 1st, 2001, 10:08 PM
aaa

COSTA is horrendous! I wouldn't go on it if they gave me a free cruise. Had friends that took one of the new Costa ships recently-husband would eat just about anything--he ended up eating steak every nite as FOOD was so BAD! <BR>If you want to do the Med-try Princess,Celebrity,Windstar,Radisson.Best time to do the Med is Spring or Fall-middle 2 weeks of Sept. are ideal. Been twice and am going again-a Med cruise is SOOOOOOOOOOO romantic. Just make sure you're on the right ship.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 01:18 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Gina, <BR> <BR>I just returned from a cruise on the Costa Atlantica. <BR> <BR>I doubt if the other posters have ever cruised Costa. <BR> <BR>The cruise was excellent. One of the best I have ever experienced. I have been on 70 cruises. Truly a five star cruise line. The ship was a masterpeice. <BR> <BR>The pastas were cooked al dente but I did not think the taste was at all italian. <BR> <BR>The cruise was certainly an international experience. The crew absolutely loves their job and aims to please. Everyone greets you from the mechanics to the officers. <BR> <BR>I was on the Costa Romantica a few years ago in the Med and found the cruise again excellent. Quite an Italian experience. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old May 2nd, 2001, 06:42 AM
Gina

Paul, thanks for your response. I really wanted advice from someone who has actually taken the cruise. What months did you sail? What was the weather like? I would like to go when it is warm if possible. I'm used to the Carribean and do not want to completely part with sun!! <BR> <BR>I appreciate AAA's advice about the Mediterranean and for giving me other options that I did not know were available. <BR> <BR>However, neviboy: In case my name did not imply, I am Italian and did not appreciate your comment: "Unless you speak Italian and can put up with noisy, aggresive Italians who comprise 75% of the passengers, then O.K." If you have such distaste for Italians, why in the world did you sail on Costa, the "Cruising Italian-Style" line? <BR> <BR>I hope you realize how insensitive and prejudiced your remarks can be. You are a primary example of why people shy away from asking strangers for advice, and why the cruise forum on this site has such a negative reputation. <BR> <BR>Thank you again to those who were trying to be genuinely helpful. <BR> <BR>

Old May 3rd, 2001, 12:50 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Gina, <BR> <BR>I cruise Europe and the Med everytime a new ship is built. <BR> <BR>I find the spring and fall the best times. Summer is extremely hot. Right up your alley. <BR> <BR>Do not get upset at the negative posters. This forum is full of them. Do not bother to answer their posts it just makes them post additional negatives. <BR> <BR>Most of them have never cruised the lines and have no basis for their complaints. <BR> <BR>There are always a few minor things that go wrong on a vacation. Give yourself 3 minutes and forget about them. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:02 PM
Surlok

Hi Gina, <BR> <BR>I cruised the Caribbean Costa , not the Med, on the Romantica and was happy with my cruise. Unfortunately, as it was low season, the ship was empty, therefore, less lively. <BR> <BR>I enjoyed the service on board, the waiters were great and happy for serve us, I just found the Italian officers a bit arrogant., They didn't look prone to socialize with passengers maybe because they couldn't speak English well. <BR> <BR>The food was so, so. Pasta and pizza were very good, and I liked the entertainment much more than I liked Princess', for example, but then, I'm Brazilian. If you have a latin oriented mind, you'll love the cruise experience, provided that Costa is not a Premium Line, just standard, and so are the rates. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old May 5th, 2001, 11:53 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>You are correct Surick, the waiters try very hard to be professional. Since they have to understand 7 languages it makes their job estremely difficult. <BR> <BR>I have been lucky I guess, on my three cruises with Costa I had great waiters. Possibly since I joke and smile a lot we all had great fun. <BR> <BR>Paul