Reload this Page >

Grandeur of the Seas-Mexico

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 10:15 AM
JoAnne

Has anyone taken this ship to Mexico (Mazatlan, Puerto Vallairta and Cabo)? We're about to take our first cruise in September and wondered if anyone took this one before and what they thought.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Peter

Been on the Grandeur but not to Mexico. The ship is about three generations back for RCCL but sister to Rhapsody, Enchantment, etc. Good sized ship (2,000 pssgrs I think) and was in very good shape a year ago. Crew was very experienced and service very good.<BR><BR>Been to Mex Riv but on the Rhapsody. I've mentioned this before, but for us, when we left L.A. it was in the upper fifties for highs; so the first day and a half and the last day (sea days) the temp was too cold to be on deck in a swimming suit - so no rays or swimming.<BR>This was in November - but the key is the L.A. weather forecast.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Scott

Yes. My wife & I took this cruise just a couple of weeks ago. The ship is beautiful, food is good, and the service is very good. We walked around Cabo on our own, rode Randi's Happy Horses in Mazatlan, and Did the Town, Country & Tequila tour in Puerto Vallarta. Overall, we had a very nice time. Bon Voyage.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 06:10 PM
Lor

We went on this cruise a couple of weeks ago. Had read bad reviews about the food - however - my party of 5 thought it great. One night I ate 2 enormous lobster tails, best I've ever had. Entertainment was fun and varied. Having a balcony with fresh air helped with sea sickness. Service in the dining room was excellent. Our every need was catered to... and if we weren't completely pleased with our meal - more food was brought out! We walked in Cabo and Mazatlan, but found the towns gritty, dirty, and poor. BUT- Puerto Vallarta was stunning! We hired a driver ($15. p/p for most the day!) who was very knowledgable about local history and special out of the way places to visit. Took a jungle tour and walked the cobblestone streets. Email if you have specific questions!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:01 PM
Todd

I'm going on this cruise on 8-11-02 so I'll post again and let you know. I want to say thanks for everyone else's posts.<BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:22 PM
pat

Scott, we are doing the same trip on the Star Princess, and picked out some of the same tours as you. We plan on doing Randi`s horses, and also, the town/country and tequila tour. So how were they? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:30 AM
Paul Therault

Yes, do Randi's horses. The horses that the ship offers on their tours are old and dried up.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:46 AM
Peter

So Paul - how do you know that Randi's horses aren't dried up too? Have you taken that excursion? Doubt it! You just "repeat what you hear and give that advice to anyone that asks". I you have, lets hear about what you did and how it was.<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:11 AM
John

Isn't Paul about 80 years old? How could he ride horses?

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 11:42 PM
Gumby

I have heard both good and bad about the food. Going in 2 weeks will report in.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Patty

pat,<BR><BR>Randi's (actually her partner Miguel's) horses are great! They are some of the cleanest, most well cared for horses I've seen anywhere. We took this tour last December when we were on the Sea Princess. She will meet you at the cruise ship pier and take you by taxi & boat over to Stone Island where the horses are. Then you ride thru a coconut plantation and on the beach. You do not have to ride in a 'single file follow the leader' kind of thing. As long as you keep an eye on the group, you can ride at any pace you're comfortable with. The horses are very responsive - not like tired trail horses at all. Afterwards we had lunch at Victors on the beach and then she took us back to the ship. It was a great day!<BR><BR>In PV, we hired a taxi driver at the pier for $25 an hour. He took us to the Crispin tequila factory where they still make tequila the old fashioned way - very smooth tasting. Then we headed over to Chico's Paradise for lunch overlooking the cascades. Also stopped at lots of scenic spots to take photos, Mismaloya Bay, etc. before dropping us off in downtown. Our driver Jose wasn't even going to charge us for the hour that he waited for us to eat lunch but we insisted on paying him.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.