Golden Princess Alaska dress code

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could I get away with blue-jeans in the dining rooms with the anytime dining option? How about T-shirt and shorts at the buffet?

This will be my first cruise and, no matter what, I want to be comfortable.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 12:40 AM

Those are the ONLY clothes you can be comfortable in? Pretty sad.

regards - tom
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 02:23 AM

Sorry no, jeans are not appropriate in the dining rooms for dinner. Anytime, doesn't mean anything. Eat in the buffet if that is all you wish to bring with you.

Shorts and t shirt are fine in the buffet. But, don't count on wearing shorts a lot, unless you are cold blooded.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 05:38 AM

T-shirt and shorts in Alaska? You are in for a surprise.
Dress or casual slacks and shirt are appropriate in dining room. No jeans.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:04 AM

We were on Coral Princess June 2008. Do not even bring any shorts - you will freeze to death wearing them. Daytime wear was comfortable - fleece and jeans or khakis, sneakers, rainwear. Same for Breakfast and Lunch. Dinner nice pants, casual skirt, collared shirt. On "formal" nights while not formal, dress for women and collared shirt, at last sports jacket, usually tie for men.

They will not throw you out of dining room (except perhaps formal night) in nice pressed jeans and collared shirt - but unless you are completely unaware of your surroundings, you will feel uncomfortable - perhaps not in the way you were asking, but socially uncomfortable. Anytime dining does not mean "anything goes" dining. While Alaska cruises are much less formal than other cruises, there is still an expectation that you dress up better than if you were mowing the lawn.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 09:30 AM

On formal nights formal clothes are requeried in any restaurant, doesn't matter if fixed or any time dining. If you don't want to bring/wear formal, you might have to eat at the buffet on formal nights. It depends on maitre'd, whether or not he'll turn you away.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 03:06 PM

For formal nights no jeans. End of story. On non-formal nights you most probably can wear jeans for anytime dining. Shots and T's for buffet? Yes. However try bringing a nice pair of khakis and matching shirts. You can still be comfortable and will look better too.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM

OOPS! I meant SHORTS, not SHOTS.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

cary999, what's pretty sad is that you are so arrogant and have nothing positive to contribute to my simple question.

I don't dress like a slob. At the same time, I refuse to dress to impress. I won't know the 2500 other passengers, many of whom are butt-ugly no matter how well they dress (eg., your profile photo), so what do I care if they don't like what I have on and want to look down their noses at my shorts, T-shirts, and blue jeans?

I get the message that jeans are not "de rigieur" in the dining room so will wear my khaki's...hell no will I dress formal just to eat!

Old Feb 24th, 2009, 04:34 PM

sfuller82 - "...many of whom are butt-ugly ..."

Excuse me, who is "so arrogant" and "nothing positive to contribute"?

Yikes, let me outta here now!!!

regards - tom
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM

What you want to wear is okay in the dining room most time (except for formal nights)as long as they are clean, not torn or cut offs.
Depending on time of year, you may be okay with shorts and t-shirts but if you are in the breezy area of teh ship, you may feel the chill. You will definietly feel it by the glacier on an open deck with some wind. Weather can change quickly in Alaska.
I am not a conformist myself but for a couples hours on 2 nights, I can force myself to wear a dark suit and a tie.
Dress up once in a while is okay. You can wear your shorts and sandles pretty much 24/7 except for the formal nights in the dining room. However, I did see people in the dining room with shorts on some nights. People are generally polite and don't stare.
You would probably enjoy their new "pub lunch" at the Wheelhouse. If you don't want to dress up at all, you always have the buffets and room service.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 07:53 AM

I haven't kept count, but this must be nearly the number one topic of discussion. I really think that it is time for the cruise lines to abandon the illusion that we are living in the 1920's and formal clothes are the only appropriate dress for dinner. Of course, they would lose the profit from formal clothing rentals - which can't amount to much any more.
They might even pick up a few bookings from those who suffer so much anxiety from the issue that they refuse to cruise at all. There must be a midpoint between snobbery and slobbery.
Maybe there's a message in the fact that the two words are only one letter different.
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 09:51 AM

A little off-topic... on Dawn Princess we had the early seating, so our shows were after dinner. On the formal nights some people who wore formal in the restaurant went to change into comfortable for the show