Gate1Travel? Amadeus?

Search

Gate1Travel? Amadeus?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gate1Travel? Amadeus?

Received an interesting offer from Gate1 Travel (never heard of them before!) for river cruises in Europe on the Amadeus Symphony or Royal. Research confuses me as to who is actually operating these vessels so.. has anyone used/heard of Gate1 Travel? How about sailing on either of the two ships? Thank you all very much for your help.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:01 AM

Gate 1 Travel is a very large tour operator with a reputation for budget tours and packages. They're not a high-end company, but one advantage they have over many companies is that most of their trips include airfares.

I'm afraid I can't give you any first-hand information about Amadeus Symphony or Royal. But few of the river cruise ships Gate 1 packages are the high-end ones; they're usually middle-of-road, though I think you tend to get a pretty good deal on their cruises.

But I'm not aware that Gate 1 owns any of its own ships. They just package river cruises with airfare, as many companies do.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much Doug.. I had read a review from 2003! which led me to believe this was a six star operation.. at least now I know they are not fly-by-night..
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:21 AM

For some reviews on Gate 1 go to the cruisecritic web site and than to the rivercruise forum. Gate 1 seems to have some customer service issues according to some of the reviews.I have never used them so I have no personal experience to speak from.
DH and I took a rivercruise from Budapest to Amsterdam on the Avalon Tranquility last July.We had the best vacation of our lives.It was our 4th trip to Europe but it was really nice to not have to move from hotel to hotel.I am totally sold on rivercruising and look forward to doing it again.Avalon is a great company that is owned by Globus.They do own their own ships.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Take a look at tripadvisor.com on Gate 1 cruises--there are some very negative reviews there--all agree they are less expensive though.
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 04:42 AM
cd

We are going to Greece and Turkey in April with Gate 1. We have never travelled with them before, and so far we have no complaints. I will post a trip report on our return. Our expectations are not high as far as Louis cruises for transportation to the islands go, and we realize the hotels in Athens and Istanbul are middle of the road accomodations. We are going for the destinations and taking the most economical way possible to get there. A big plus was that their price does include airfare.