Formal Night on HAL and other ?s

Aug 16th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Formal Night on HAL and other ?s

Hello All
I am taking my 75yr. old mother on the Zaandam Sept 15-22 and have a few questions. Mom is in good health and physical condition for a 75y.o.

1. How about Helicopter to glacier and dogsledding for my 75y.o mom? Any suggestions for other excursions? I guess kayaking would be out? But I would like to take her on up close and person nature tour.

2. She is panicked about formal night, she does not like wearing dresses,definitley would not be comfortable in a floor length formal, whats a cocktail dress for a 75 y.o., very modest woman. would a basic but nice pants and top work, please offer suggestions.

Thanks any and all help is appreciated
Aug 16th, 2006, 08:28 PM

The glacier dog sledding tours are over when you are going. Make other plans, perhaps a regular glacier helicopter landing?? If she can climb a few steps, won't be a problem, and plenty of help if you request it.

Be prepared, HAL is a "formal" ship with people definately dressing for formal nights. There is always the buffet which has similar food, and perhaps room service. But black pants, dress shoes and a dressy top, add some classy jewerly will do.

I just would suggest you not consider anything casual, although you probably won't be turned away, you probably won't be comfortable either.
Aug 16th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Also be well prepared in your attire. You are going during the worse potential weather, ave temps 40-55, ave. 3 days of rain, so take 2 pair of walking shoes and have rain gear. Hopefully you won't need it. You always need layers, knit hat and gloves, no matter when you go.

You will have dusk by 7pm- plan your shore time carefully. Slight chance of northern lights- if of interest, I will give you the details.
Aug 17th, 2006, 03:57 AM
cd

Your mom will love the helicopter/glacier landing tour. It was the highlight of our trip. Also, I took one dressy black pant suit and wore it for both formal nights with a different dressy top and glittery jewerly. It was perfect. I felt very much a part of everything. What a nice gift to give to your mother.
Aug 17th, 2006, 05:30 AM
Suerich68

cd's solution is perfect. One black suit should cover it. That's what I'm doing next cruise.

Aug 18th, 2006, 10:53 AM

I agree with cd, too. Perfect suggestion and have a great time!
Nov 27th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Re formal nights--tell your mother that all she needs to pack is one pair of black silk pants and several dressy tops. Just be sure to take layers--sweater or sweatshirt, vest, waterproof jacket, gloves--for that variable daytime weather. Helicopter to glacier is wonderful, but so are the various seaplane trips. It is such a beautiful itinerary. (And if she likes good jewelry, don't miss Glacier Gem and Jewelry in Juneau!)
Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
samting

Best, in my opinoin, is to get a black skirt or a crepe dress (Chico's has some nice ones) and add a jacket, scarf, etc. Then one other pair of dark pants, and perhaps a dressy sweater, and you are covered. By altering scarfs, jackets, jewelry, it looks like so much more, and makes for light packing.

Dec 3rd, 2006, 02:16 PM

I noticed your cruise was three months ago. How did it go?

Hope you had a wonderful cruise!!
Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
samting

Re our cruise to Alaska, it was good..the third time we have gone, twice on Princess, and once on HAL. All have been about what we expected..Alaska is so amazing, and our family enjoyed it too. I do prefer, when given the option, to sail on smaller ships, but the family enjoyed the glamour and excitement of the Big Ship. Took some awesome tours, and played a lot of ping pong.