Reload this Page >

Food? What do you miss?

Search

Food? What do you miss?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 08:15 AM
MHS

Food? What do you miss?

Fodor's Europe has been chatting about this and I am curious. What food dish do you look forward to and miss most when you return home? As someone who will be on her first Princess cruise, what should I look forward to sampling? What food do you miss most that you have had on a cruise but either can not get at home or it's not the same? Of course, it doesn't have to be on a Princess ship.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 09:18 AM
phil

I can't speak for everyone but most of the ships I have been on serve generic "Americana" style food. Nothing notable that I couldn't get just about anywhere else. <BR> <BR>Unlike Europe most ships don't have a culture or history that will apply to a specific type of culinary delight. This doesn't mean that some ships don't specialize in rare or exotic dishes but the big ones CCL RCCL etc... don't want to risk the unusual. Most of their cafeterias serve backyard barbecue style buffets and their dinners are your standard surf and turf type. <BR> <BR>Europeans can afford to experiment more and therefore offer a wider variety of foods. <BR> <BR>I would say the best food I have ever had that I couldn't get at home was in two places. Paris on a sidewalk cafe serving veal a la franchaise, and Switzerland at a guild serving trout that literally melted in my mouth. <BR> <BR>The worst food I have had on a vacation was on one of the older RCCL ships. They had a place called the Windjammer Cafe that served cafeteria style food that was your run of the mill Ponderosa steak house style. I know what do you expect. Something edible would have been nice. It was the first vacation I lost weight on. <BR> <BR>Well there's your answer. Hope it's digestable. Hehe. Good journey to you.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Laura

Hello again, MHS......Even though I have had some absolutely outstanding food on cruises, I have to admit that the one thing I have tried over and over to duplicate is Norwegian Cruise Lines cold cream of say banana, or strawberry or mango soup.....they use all different kinds of fruit and make these cream soups that are out of this world. The closest I have come is a cold cream of cantaloupe soup...but it still is not the same. I wish I had the recipe......does anyone out there have it????? Also, Celebrity makes (Thai) spring rolls that would knock your socks off...wish I had that recipe, too. This is a hard question, MHS, because there are such excellent dishes on cruises. I am now remembering a deep fried ravioli with a fantastic marina sauce.....sigh!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Laura

oops!! Meant "marinara sauce"

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 01:44 PM
Maggie

I miss EVERYTHING I ever ate on the Disney Magic. By far, the best cruise fare I have ever tasted. Generous portions, fabulous service, outstanding food and to die for desserts. I wish I was going back sometime soon . . .

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 04:24 PM
justme

Anything I don't have to cook, serve, and clean up after!

Old Jul 25th, 2001, 03:03 AM
Bob

I miss the cold pina colada soup on the dawn princess

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Lisa

Heck, forget the food. I miss having people serve me and clean up afterwards.

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 06:43 PM
John

Lobster on the Paradise. It was not ropey and dry like on RCI and Princess.

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 12:09 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>My wife looks forward to the twice a week lobster in Carnival ships. she says it is the greatest. Me, I look forard to the prime rib twice during the cruise. It is so difficult to find great prime rib in stateside restaurants. My wife also enjoys the escargot. <BR> <BR>By the way the buffet food on our last two cruises have improved quite a bit. The food is varied, nicely presented and good. Also many salad dressings to choose from unlike many cruise lines including upscale. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 03:46 PM
Lydia

I agree with Laura about the cream soups. On the Sun Princess they served a peach soup for lunch that was so creamy and refreshing. I had asked for the recipe but our waiter said that I would have to write to the cruise line which I did and they did not reply. So maybe it's a secret, huh?

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 05:01 AM
Laura

Lydia, doesn't it make you crazy that they won't give you the recipe?? Like you won't cruise with them again if you can make it at home. I don't get it. <BR> <BR>Anyway, I bought a pack of recipes from RCCL a few years ago and this recipe was in there. I have made it many, many times....it is absolutely delicious. Maybe you can figure out how to adapt it to peach cream soup. <BR> <BR>CHILLED MELON BISQUE <BR> <BR>2 1/2 lbs Cantaloupe (I just use a large or big medium cantaloupe <BR>3 Tablespoons Honey <BR>2/3 cup Orange Juice concentrate <BR>3 cups Plain yogurt <BR>1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract <BR> <BR>1. Peel ripe melon, discarding seeds and fibers. Cut into chunks and blend for three minutes in a blender. Pass melon pulp through a fine sieve, add honey and orange juice concentrate and mix well. <BR> <BR>2. Whip yogurt with electric beater for one minute until completely smooth. Add the vanilla. <BR> <BR>3. Blend yogurt with the cantaloupe pulp and chill well. Serve in a very cold soup cup. <BR> <BR>My note here: Taste prior to serving as the cantaloupe may not be a very sweet one...in that case, just add some sugar...I think that tastes better than if I add more honey. Usually don't have to add any more sweetener. <BR> <BR>Enjoy!