First Time Cruising

Search

First Time Cruising

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time Cruising

There are 2 of us, first time on a Cruise. We are taking the Celebrity Cruise to Alaska in end August this year. Boarding is in Vancouver and last port of disembarkation is Seward. I am very lost as to what shoule we arrange between the 2 ports.

1. Vancouver. How many days is ideal and what hotels are recommended.

2. More importantly, we know nothing about Seward. When the cruise ends in Seward, what should we do? Stay for a few days, sightseeing there? What to do and what to see. And how do we get back to Vancouver?

Thank you all in anticipation.

Daniel
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 11:48 AM

Your travel agent, or cruise line should spell out all your arrangements for after your cruise. There is enough to do/see in Seward for a day or two, but you will need to get to Anchorage for flights back. You need to talk to your agent about this. The best thing to do, I think is to continue on with a land tour to Denali Park and Fairbanks.
Vancouver is a great place and you can spend several days there. The city is wonderful and there are places to go. Take a ferry to Victoria, drive arouind the area. I forget the hotels, but one with a view of the harbor is great.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Wow, this really works. Thanks Aristotle! I am impressed. Well, I won this cruise voucher so do not have any travel agent to handle the extras. So I guess it is flying into Vancouver, take the cruise, get off in Seward, sightsee for a day or 2 there and then travel to Vancouver. What is the best way to travel from Seward to Anchorage? I heard that to cover Denali Park and Fairbanks need at least a few days?

Thanks again Aristotle.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:39 AM

The Fairmont Empress is the majestic hotel overlooking the harbor in Victoria. Butchart Gardens in Victoria is spectacular!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 02:21 PM

I would Google "visit Vancouver" and "visit Seward" for starters.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 02:22 PM

You can fly into Vancouver a few days early and visit Vancouver. When you are done at Seward, teracel to Denali and then to Anchorage and fly home from there.

If you share how much time you want to spend before and after, what type of activities you enjoy etc, we can make better suggestions. A budget of what you want to spend helps also.

Although you won the cruise voucher, you can still use a travel agent to book your air and hotel unless you want to spend the time to do the work yourself. Planning the trip is part of the fun.

If you want convenience, call Celebrity and have them arrange everything. They have both pre-cruise and post-cruise excursions, transfers from airport etc. It would be a one stop shop, but the most expensive option.

I am guessing from your name that you will enjoy Vancouver's multi-cultural enviroment. Richmond (just outside Vancouver) probably has the highest density of Chinese population outside China and the most authentiuc quality Cantonese food outside Hong Kong that I have sampled. I have sampled NYC, LA, SF, TO, etc. Nothing come close.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 10:55 AM

due to illness we will be unable to go to Alaska this year and have an unused 2011 Great Alaskan Toursaver worth $100. Will sell for $50. No coupons have been used. Anyone interested please email [email protected]
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 03:14 AM

I love Vancouver. There is so much to do there.