Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

First time cruisers to Alaska...can you take a look at itinerary and answer a few questions?

Search

First time cruisers to Alaska...can you take a look at itinerary and answer a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 2 couples traveling, first cruise for all of us.
Leaving L.A. on June 5 fly to Anchorage where we will rent a car and travel to Denali and see some of the sights.
Board the Sun Princess in Whittier on June 13 for a one way cruise south to Vancouver
The price that we were quoted by a travel agent was $1549. for a room with a balcony.
Is any deck that is better than another?
I get sea sick and have some concerns about the 1 day trips sight seeing trips out of Seward on the smaller boats. Any seasick pills or potions that work better than others?
Is there a tour operator there that you might suggest over another?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help!
Toni
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM

My husband tends to motion sickness, so when we cruise, we select a cabin as low and midships as possible.

He uses meclizine to prevent seasickness, and didn't have any trouble with the all day wildlife boat trip in Seward.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:46 PM

I cant answer your questions as I will be taking my first Alaskan cruise in June also.
I have found the "Cruise Critic"site to be very helpfull.
Most of the time your questions will have already been answered.
Good Luck
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 08:26 PM

If you're prone to sea sickness, definitely go with something low and mid-ship...that was good advice!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:09 AM

I say if you are prone to seasickness take precautions- it will matter less where you are on the ship- IF YOU GET SICK ANYWAY. I have encountered VERY rough sailing in Alaska- so it is a BIG myth it is "smooth as glass" it isn't. There are several excellent products- Bonine is over the counter, Trans derm scop via prescription. I wouldn't bother with any wrist bands for a first trip. Just too chancy. As for Kenai Fjords boat trips- these are USUALLY rough in some sections and I have seen sick passengers EVERY TRIP. You need at least 6 hours on the water- don't consider any shorter- just not worth it. Ideally, I now only consider the all day Northwestern Fjord tour for myself. I always want more. I have sailed the Sun 3 times to Alaska, I like Aloha deck for the ease of getting to the front open deck on that deck, but I have never paid over $500pp inside- so only you can answer if that price is worth it for you??? I most always go with a guarantee anyway. I would look at several online booking sites and compare prices. List iton www.cruisecompete.com The Sun is usually a cheaper ship- it's considered OLD- ha ha. But is way superior for front deck viewing space- be certain to get OUT THERE for your glacier sailings- better all the way around compared to side viewing.
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:45 AM

I've never been on an Alaskan cruise (definitely on my list though!), but I wanted to comment about the wrist bands for motion sickness.

My daughter has suffered from motion sickness all 19 years of her life. I took her to Thailand last summer for her HS graduation gift and I was concerned about her motion sickness because of all the traveling we would be doing (air, bus, boat, etc). I took Dramamine, Bonine, ginger candy drops and the wrist bands with us. She took either Dramamine or Bonine the first time she got sick because I had it in my bag and it worked (somewhat), but she slept quite a bit. That night we pulled the wrist bands out of the suitcase and she used them the rest of the trip. In her words, they are the greatest invention ever made. She used them the rest of our 3-week trip with no more motion sickness and no drowsiness. She now carries them with her, all the time, in her purse...just in case.

I don't know that they'd work for everyone, but they certainly worked miracles for her. For a $10 investment and little space packing, I say take it with you and give it a try!

btw, we took the bands because my mother swears by them also. She wears them, non-stop, whenever she goes on a cruise.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 01:49 PM
eb

We use the wrist bands when we go fishing in Cabo San Lucas. We put them on the night before the trip (just to be safe) and then leave them on for several hours after we get back on land (took them off one time right after we arrived at the dock, and started feeling a little queasy).
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 05:49 PM

We were on the Sun Princess in April in the Caribbean (it's a great ship, by the way, we absolutely loved it)and we hit a day of rough seas near the Bahamas. It seemed many people were a little sea-sick no matter where their cabin was located.

We were mid-ship, balcony cabin on Aloha Deck (highest passenger deck) and we both were mildy sea sick one evening. Several crew members told us that when they feel queasy they eat a green apple and have a few saltines with ginger ale. We tried it (went up to buffet and got a couple apples) and I honestly think it did help. I've never heard of this combination for motion sickness, but if the crew recommended it we figured why not !! From now on when we cruise we plan on ordering a few green apples and keep them in the refrigerator "just in case".