Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

First time cruiser with questions about elderly dad and a cruise...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Janet

I have a very youthful dad, age 88, who loves to gamble, relax and eat! I'm thinking he might love a cruise, but he's never been. Any insights for someone his age taking a cruise? No exotic or European ports. Thanks in advance

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Cruiser

Excellent choice for a vacation, Janet. He can be as active or passive as he wants to be. If he goes with someone, he won't hold them back from more adventurous excursions.<BR> The only non-exotic ports I can think of are: Alaska<BR> New England<BR> Maybe Bermuda ( though British maybe be too European for him?)<BR> Hawaii but that maybe too exotic(but atleast a USA port)<BR> Yes, encourage him to cruise. It is the best!!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Lew

On a recent South American cruise on the Ryndam we had a 97 year old gal...dubbed Kissing Sally as she kissed everyone...in the company of her grand daughter. Not only did her granddaughter care for her, but all of the crew and passengers fell in love with her. She did fine.<BR><BR>When selecting a cruise line, remember all have their own personalities. Some cater to the youth market, other to the up-scale more senior market. <BR><BR>You did not indicate the price range you would look at so I cannot advise you in any way.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Starfish

Your Dad would love a cruise. I recommend Holland America.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 03:50 PM
janet

I strongly agree about Holland America. Also check out the 'Crystal' ships. My parents are in their late 80s and they love cruising. You unpack once and see the world. Always someone to talk to and something to do. And there is always medical attention on board.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 06:26 AM
M.B.

Janet, by all means CRUISE! My Mother, who is 94 (on a walker) and I cruise twice a year. We started cruising Seabourn (very small ship 208 pass.'s) several years ago. We always book the same suite which is by the elevator and she goes everywhere on the ship! She adores the Staff, crew and guests....and they love her! Your Father will indeed be "the hit" of the ship! Happy cruisin'!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:50 AM
Janet

Thanks for the encouragement. Actually, I'm thinking we (me, husband, kid, and Dad) would all go on a cruise together. I'll do more checking, but I think something out of Miami might be best due to location. I think carribean would probably work best for us. Thanks again all.