Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Explorer of the Seas Western: what excursions have you done on your own?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are sailing on Nov.19th on the Explorer of the Seas. We have a large group of extended family coming with us.

Can anyone give us ideas on excursions to do that are not through (meaning expensive!!) the cruise line. We have all budgets represented in our group and I wanted to get some lower priced options.

Our ports of call are : Belize
Costa Maya
Cozumel
Grand Cayman

Thanks for any help you can give!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM

Grand Cayman- We've been ther twice, the first time we explored on our own and spent the day at 7 Mile Beach. The other time we were with friends and they wanted to do the Stingray/Turtle Farm/Hell tour. I would MUCH rather explore on my own. The Stingray tour-although I loved awmimming w/the Stingrays, the boat we had was SLLOOOWWW
and the sandbar was way too crowded. The Turtle Farm- call me naive, but I just though it was a farm for turtles kida like a zoo. But it was horrible...the tanks they were in were crammed full and they were all trying to get out and come to find out, they ended killing the turtles..I was horrified.
The Hell part (other than the Turtle Farm) was just a waste of time.Very touristy and the volcanic rock..or whatever it is, was full of litter.
In Belize-which we've only been to once, we did a beach day, which was wonderful...they had this bar/restaurant at this private beach and the bartenders were not shy with the rum! Had a great time!
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:04 PM
katybird

Grand Cayman we went with www.nativewaywatersports.com. There are reviews on trip advisor you can check out. They offer several different excursions. Met us at the dock and took us back, of course. Very personalized. They provided all the snorkle equipment.

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM

We booked ahead in Grand Cayman with Captain Marvin's stingray tour. They went to the same spot as the larger tours and I was a bit surprised seeing other boats in that big circle, but ours was a smaller group so the staff had more time to spend with us. We had a lot of room to swim around and didn't get close to the other groups. (And we got more than one piece of squid to feed the rays!) They had drinks for us, and a videographer was on the boat (you should request that when you reserve to be sure one is on board - it's not guaranteed apparently - and the DVD (purchased separate) was a fun souvenir.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 03:45 AM

In Belize go with Reggie for his cave tubing! We went last November and it was fantastic! The ships go to the same caves, same amount of time spent there but Reggie is 1/2 the price. he was $45@ and ship's tours were $89 to $98!
I emailed a question or two JUST before we left and imagine my surprise when Reggie called me on the phone! He had also emailed me back.
Check out his site at regtour.com. You can email him directly at [email protected]. He is VERY concious of the time and has never had anyone miss the last tender back to the ship. He does have a boat to take you back if this does happen but it won't! You can pay him when you get there. There were 9 of us including the girlfrends of the driver and guide who is Reggie's son. The ship's tours had 30-40 people. This was the best Belize happening in the 5 times we've been there and we'll do it again next time we're there!
In Costa Maya check out Ivan & David's tour to the Chacchobenruins.com. This site will tell you all about their tour.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

bonniejns-thanks so much-I will be contacting Rudy!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:28 PM

In belize cave tubing with Reggie is a must. He runs a very good operation and the excursion is a blast for all ages. In Cozumel we always take a taxi to Chankanaab National Park. It has a great beach with grass huts, chairs, changing facilities, places to eat and great snorkeling. I can send you photos if you like. Cost $16 per person to enter park. It also has a nature trail. We really enjoy it. You can get discount coupons on the internet @ www.cozumelinsider.com. E-mail me with any other questions.
Kelly
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Can you rent snorkle equip. at the beach in Cozumel or is it bring your own?

Thanks!