Reload this Page >

Excursions on S. Caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Kathy

Hi,<BR><BR>Any advice on the best excursions for S. Caribbean. Specifically,<BR>St. Croix<BR>St. Lucia<BR>Barbados<BR>Antigua<BR>St. Thomas<BR><BR>Thanks in advance.<BR><BR>- Kathy

Old Nov 15th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Gail

Kathy,<BR> It would help if you tell us what you like to do. I took the cruise you are taking last X-mas. We like to go to the beach, so in most places we just got a taxi at the pier and went to a beach. In St. Lucia we took the ship's Land/Sea excursion. At first we thought a seven hour excursion would be a bit much, but it was GREAT. We did the bus portion first and got to see a lot of the island. Then we had lunch and got on the catamaran to sail back to the ship. The served rum punch and had dancing. The island was also beautiful from the water. We were glad we did the bus portion first and came back in the heat of the afternoon on the catamara. Oh yea, the catamaran also stops for a swim.

Old Nov 16th, 2001, 06:16 AM
Kris

An alternative to the ship's shore excursions is to pick up a private taxi in port who will take you anywhere you want to go. Fix a price before you set off and don't pay in advance. There were dozens of taxis waiting in each of the ports we visited. On St. Lucia we had the driver take us to Anse Chasenet for snorkeling (had to bring own gear)and then on to the volcano. On Barbados, the driver took us to the botanical gardens (Harrison's caves were closed due to excessive rain) and then to the beach. We arranged a pickup time with the driver and they were there to take us back at the set time.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Kathy

Gail and Kris,<BR><BR>Thanks for your responses. <BR><BR>We are thinking about doing some islands on our own. Do you recommend any beaches or places to do snorkelling?<BR><BR>- Kathy

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Gail

In St. Croix we went to the beach at Hotel on Cay. Just ask a taxi driver at the pier--they'll get you there.It was a small hotel off shore--they have a small ferry (one minute ride) take you over. Rented chairs and had a very relaxing day. There is a bar a restaurant right there. <BR>In St. Lucia, we took the land/sea excursion from the ship(LOVED IT). <BR>In Barbados we went to a beach in Holetown. Again, the taxi drivers will advise you as to good beaches.<BR>In Antigua we went to a beach at Runaway Bay and at the Royal Antiguan Hotel.<BR> In St. Thomas--Megans Bay or Coki Beach (you can snorkel right from shore at Coki), or take the ferry to ST. John for some gorgeous beaches. The taxi drivers on all the islands are great and will recommend good beaches. They will arrange a time to come pick you up to go back to the ship.<BR>This is a great itinerary.<BR>Have a wonderful time!

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Cathy

Hey Kathy from Cathy!<BR><BR>The some of the best snorkling on St. Croix is around Buck Island (don't confuse with Buck Island at St. Thomas). The beach is absolutely beautiful and the snorkling is fantastic. <BR>I love snorkling at Anse Chastenet, but many ships don't have an excursion there. But if you can get a vanload of people to go with you, it can be quite reasonable. You may be able to see the whole island for $20 per person with 5-7 people in the van. I would start at Anse Chastenet and the volcano, then work my way up. There are nice photo ops including a place to buy and drink fresh coconut milk and get your picture taken with an Anaconda!!! As you get closer to Castries, stop at Caribelle Batik to learn how batik is made. Don't forget to pick up a spice basket and some bannana ketchup.<BR>Barbados is beautiful and I hope to go back this summer. The Flower Forest is beautiful (botanical garden), Harrisons cave is facintating, but spend some time on the beach as well. Ask taxi driver where the best place to have flying fish is. I had some delicious flying fish the last time I was there.<BR>Antiqua has great beaches and St. Thomas is the best place to buy liquor and jewlery and table cloths. <BR><BR>I usually do my own excursions, save a ton of money and have a great time seeing what I want to see at the pace I want to see it. It may involve a little more research but it is very well worth it.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:01 PM
Swim

Kathy,<BR>In Barbados go swimming with the turtles,<BR>it's so fun .The taxi drivers will know which beach to take you to.

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Anita

From St. Thomas you can take a ferry on your own to St John's Trunk Bay. It is a beautiful place to snorkel! Very relaxing. I would suggest "searching" it on the net. There are MANY photos of Trunk Bay online. Hope this helps.