Reload this Page >

Elation with 70 year old mother

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 08:30 AM
Barbara

My sisters and I would like to take a cruise with my 70 year old mother. We were thinking of the Mexican Riveria next spring. The Elation is one of the few ships going to the ports we'd like to see. I am concerned with Carnival's reputation as a party ship. Also I was wondering if anyone has shared a cabin with 4 adults.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 10:27 AM
Andy

THe cruise bathrooms are very tiny-I think 4 in a cabin is cramped but lots of people put 2 kids and 2 adults together--I think 4 adults in 1 cabin is way too small to move around.<BR>AS for the Carnival-it is definitely a party ship-lots of NEON lights--There are lots os ships that do the Mexican RIviera-ie.Celebrity&lt;RCL&lt;HAL---any of those would be better in my opinion than Carnival

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:37 AM
Jana

Barbara, whatever you do, don't go with Carnival, especially with a 70 year old. It is a party ship. It has zero class and zero service. Recommend Grand Princess.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Steve

I went on the Elation with my wife and 2 childred (ages 19 and 27). Sorry to disagree with the other listers, but it was the most fun we ever had on a cruise- for all ages (we are in mid 50's). We didn't get to bed until at lease 2 AM every nite because of the late nite comedy shows and other entertainment. We are NOT party people and we DON'T drink. It was a great cruise with great entertainment andvery good food. It was our first experience on Carnival and it won't be our last. We found the cabin to be a little small but we had no trouble getting around or storing our clothes. Let me add 1 thing. Prices on the Elation are so competitive and low, why not get two cabins- one outside and one inside. You should be able to get outside for $600 and inside for $500 per person. That way, you'll have plenty of room. Try Carnival yourself once. If you don'y like it, don't go back. What other people look for in a cruise may be different that what you look for. Sometimes, the ones that complain belong on Seabourn or Crystal Cruises- not on Carnival. You will have a fun cruise. Another thing- plan it for a time when schools are not on vacation. There will be more adults on the ship at that time. Check Travelocity for some of the best prices. <BR> <BR>Have FUN! <BR>Steve

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 08:57 PM
Barbara

Thanks for the imput Steve. I would love to hear what you did in the ports. <BR>Thanks

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:26 PM
Steve

Barbara: We really didn't do much on the shore excursions. Mostly, we went to the bazaars (flea markets around the port) and did some shopping. We had such a good time on the ship with the ship activities, we spent much of the time on the ship. Other than snorkeling or lying on the beaches, there wasn't much else to do that excited us. <BR> <BR>Did you price a second cabin? Did you get the $500-$600 price? We paid $450 per adult on our cruise in July of last year (inside). <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:59 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Barbara, <BR> <BR>I took my 91 year old father on three Carnival cruises and he just loved the experience. There is a good cross section of ages on Carnival. Plenty of families of course since it is a value cruise line. <BR> <BR>Steve is correct when he states that 2 cabins are just a little more money than one cabin with four. <BR> <BR>Happy cruising. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Barbara

Thanks for the imput - I definitely think with 4 we will get two cabins. <BR> <BR>Steve - where did you find it for $450.00 - Travelocity? How early did you book it?

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 07:19 PM
sjayzee99

Hi Barbara: I got the deal from "The Cruise Marketplace" in California, but that was 2 summers ago. Can't say if that would be true today. I think you can come close if you wait a while (about 2 months before your cruise date). That seems to be when the best deals are available. I didn't use travelocity then but it might be a good bet in today's world. We are going on the NCL Dream Baltic Cruise in August and I was able to book a deluxe O.S. Cabin for a 12 day cruise for $1169 on Travelocity. None of the other cruise discounters came close to that at the time I booked (3 months before the cruise). The best I could come was $1499 until I hit this deal on travelocity. <BR>Good Luck! <BR> <BR>Steve

Old Jul 13th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Barbara

Thanks again. I'm sure you're right about waiting for the best deal. I'll keep my fingers crossed.