Reload this Page >

E. CARIBBEAN EXCURSIONS

Search

E. CARIBBEAN EXCURSIONS

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 1999, 04:14 PM
Laurel

E. CARIBBEAN EXCURSIONS

WE'RE BOOKED ON GRAND PRINCESS 12/12/99 TO ST THOMAS, ST MAARTEN, PRINCESS CAYS. WHAT TOURS WERE THE MOST INTERESTING/EXCITING THAT YOU'VE TAKEN? (EXCLUDING SNORKELING/SCUBA) THANKS. <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 05:54 AM
Maira

Rent a jeep in St. Marteen (about $50/day) and explore the island on your own. The Spanish fort is cool.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 06:03 AM
Hilary

I would say that in St. Maarten you should spend the day on the French side of the island on Orient Beach. It is a gorgeous beach and a great way to spend a day. There are water sports and the facilities are as clean as can be. In St. Thomas, go to St. John and go snorkeling (if you can). We saw sting rays, baracuda, and had an incredible catamaran ride over to St. John where we got to see the whole coast of St. Thomas. I don't "do" shopping, but I hear the shopping on St. Thomas is great.

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 03:15 PM
Laurel

<BR>Maira and Hilary, thank you for the suggestions. As it turns out, my hubby doesn't want to do any of the tour stuff from the ship. He loves the beach (doesn't swim) so once we get ashore, we'll take your advice. I do want to do a little shopping, but with 8 or 9 hours in port, we can do a little of everything. Thanks again. <BR> <BR>If anyone out there has any suggestions about jewelry stores and prices, I'd really appreciate it as well. Christmas shopping. Thanks.

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 04:50 PM
Cassie

A great jewelry store in St Maarten is OMNI. As you get off on the pier, just go straight ahead. As soon as you get off the pier and onto the street start looking to the left. It will be the first jewelry store that you see. If you reach a left turn, you went too far. The owner is an Indian (from India) called Cookie. I have colleagues here who have been buying from him for years and are extremely happy. Be sure to look at the Tanzanite - the newest hot jewelry stone in the Caribbean. <BR> <BR>On your cruise, the cruise director will do a shopping talk on each port. They will mention stores, and altho those stores have paid the cruise line to be mentioned, at least you are guaranteed that the mentioned shops are reliable. That doesn't mean you can't look elsewhere though.