Drach Caves in Palma De Mallorca

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be stopping in Palma De Mallorca for a day while on a cruise. I have read about the Drach Caves there. Would this be a good way to spend our afternoon? I am travelling with my husband and 3 kids, ages 6-9. Any other suggestions are appreciated as well.
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:31 AM

The Caves of Drach are out on the East coast of Mallorca and take about an hour to get to. If you're on an excursion from the ship, you'll probably stop at Manacor where the pretend pearls of Mallorca are made and sold at highish prices.

It's a bit strange, this Drach place. Every other cave we've been to, has a bit of a guided tour thrown in, with explanations about the various formations, when it was discovered and so on. In Drach, they shepherd you through the cave system at quite a pace, so no real chance to wander and view the formations. You then arrive at a vast underground auditoreum with a lake. The seatng rises up and everyone is seated facing the lake.

Then a boat with three people in it rows round a bend and into view, with a couple of the occupants playing classical music. They row up, then back again and out of sight. You then exit.

If this floats your boat, then go. If not, then do something else!

We took an English friend on our second visit there, just to see their reaction. She said:

"What the hell was that?"
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Just turned on TV last week & saw Samantha Brown rowing around in a cave. Beautiful. She said you can get to caves on Palma bus. Its on my must do list.Cannot find any info yet. Post if you do, inc. pricing.
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:54 AM

The caves have their own website if you're interested:

http://www.cuevasdeldrach.com/main_eng.html

I learned more looking at this than I ever did going there! However, if you've not been before, you may be entranced or not when you go.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 09:01 AM

http://www.caib.es/sacmicrofront/con...=330&cont=8801

That's the website for the bus service that goes from Palma to the Caves. Bus L412 or L414. It's all in spanish/catalan, but it says palma-manacor-"coves" and portocristo.
The website is awful, be forewarned. But it'll give you PDF schedules that are easy to read even if you don't understand all the language. Looks like a bus schedule in every language.

I can't find anything about the bus fare, but it's a standard bus so I wouldn't expect more than a couple Euros.
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:42 AM

If you have never been to Palma spend the day exploring the city, either on your own or with a tour. It's truly a beautiful place and I wouldn't want to spend the day in a dark cave, particularly if it's a beautiful sunny day. The caves are a good choice for those that have already been to Palma and are looking for something to do on the outskirts.
Old Mar 21st, 2013, 06:03 PM

Agree with Frank there. It's cool and beautiful but if the sun is out then you may as well do something outside. The caves are somewhere you go when the weather is rubbish. Palma itself has history,a castle, shopping, good food and maybe a 2 Euro, 15 minute bus ride away from many great beaches.

For an easy afternoon away from the city maybe catch the scenic wooden railway train that goes through the mountains and ends at Soller. From there you get a little tram to the seafront. With the kids I am thinking the beach though? But with this you do a scenic journey, a nic elunch in the village of Soller and then tram it to the beach for relaxation and swimming and stuff: Something for everyone.

Maybe even look up in advance and head to a Waterpark. The closest may be in Arenal?