dog sledding excursion

Search

dog sledding excursion

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dog sledding excursion

Has anyone been on a dog-sledding excursion lately? I was interested in it, however, didn't realize that it was approx. $400 per person (via the cruise line). Is it really worth $400? Are there any alternatives (i.e. independent operators)?

Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 11:32 AM

Hello,

You could contact the Visitor and Convention Bureau in the city and see if they can recommend an independent operator. However, if you go with the cruise line, you probably get a discounted rate because the cruise line has a contract with the operator. The cruise lines mostly work with only the best and most reputable operators in the port, so I think that you would have the best experience. Also, if your cruise line shore excursion was delayed on the return, they would hold the ship until you got back to the ship. If you go with an independent operator and get delayed, you might miss the ship.

Best Regards,
Julia Elzie
http://www.cruisingco.com
E-mail: [email protected]
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 02:38 AM

I don't think you get a discount using the cruiseline excursion, I think a profit is added for the cruiseline !

However, the dog sledding trips I have seen described, start with a plane ride,in that case, I would take the ship's tour. I don't want that ship to leave without me, if that plane has a problem or bad weather sets in, etc.

I don't think the ship would wait all night for you but could fly you to meet the ship. Too many unknowns just to have dogs pull you around in the snow !
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 05:46 AM

No you never get a discount using a ship tour- always more. I would recommend booking out of Skagway vs Juneau for glacier dog sledding- slightly less canceled. Direct book with TEMSCO, out of Juneau with Coastal. I never book any ship excursions and haven't missed the ship yet. If you do it is your own fault, always book your tour for early in your port day- take the contractors recommendations and have a great tour!!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your comments. BudgetQueen, thanks for your suggestion. I'll definitely look into TEMSCO.