Reload this Page >

Do you tip the captain?

Search

Do you tip the captain?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Babs

Do you tip the captain?

I am very new to cruisng and will begoing on a cruise with the Carnival cruise line this February and my friends told me there will be extra costs besides the great fare I got for 499$ because you are spose to tip everbody waiters ,suarts, and boat people who take you to shoar so should I give the captain a tip on the last nite so do you go to his table and give it to him as my friend Clara said much appreciated.

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Sara

When you give your bags to the people at the dock - you will tip the people you hand the bags to. If you use porters - you will also tip them - about a buck a bag.<BR><BR>You will tip your room steward, waiter, assistant waiter and if you wish the matride and head waiter.<BR><BR>If you receive room service - you also tip. If your kids are in the kids program - you may also tip there. <BR><BR>All drinks you order - have a 15% added.<BR><BR>As far as the Captain - you do not tip him or any other officer.<BR><BR>Hope this makes sense.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 08:45 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Good advice.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 09:19 PM
frank

You didn't mention the number of days of your cruise. The day before you arrive at your home port, Carnival will provide you with envelopes for each of the persons you tip. There will also be a suggestion of how much to tip each employee per day. <BR><BR>You can give your room attendant the envelope sometime before you disembark. The last night people usually take envelopes into the dining room for the waiter and busboy and headwaiter or any other person you feel you should tip. <BR><BR>The great thing about a cruise is that you become "great friends" with various people, including those who share your table. By that time you feel you can ask them anything - including tipping proceedures. It's all a lot more painless than some people would have you believe.<BR><BR>In ports you would tip a taxi driver the same as at home. If you're on a water taxi or a tender not provided by Carnival, a dollar or two is usually sufficient for the person helping you.<BR><BR>Don't worry about tipping the cocktail waitress - bartender or someone who brings you a drink or a soda. They automatically add the 15% onto your tab.<BR><BR>Didn't mention your destination(s), but if you go to Jamaica, they can be a little pushy. Make sure you have plenty of dollars handy.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Joyce

On some ships Carnival is putting your tips on your Sign and Sail Card daily. It you want to subtract or add to the amount the put on your card-go to the Pursers office.<BR>

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Barbara

On the last evening of the cruise, they are all out in force waiting for a tip. The captains, there are usually two, are never one of them.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Babs

Thanks for the information,you are such nice people. Will have some more questions later in our planning. <BR>Babs and Clara