Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Do I need anti-malarial meds for Belize?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Belize City and Cozumel for one day each at the end of June. Should I be concerned about malaria and other unpleasantries, or just use bug spray?
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 04:59 AM
JonJon

I would definitely take and use an effective insect repellant..often one containing DEET (although for some that can be "controversial"..usually people who aren't being plagued by the bugs).
The mosquitoes that carry the worst disease parasites often feed at dusk and dawn.
You will NOT get any decent "anti-malarial" medication unless you have a prescription and, frankly, you'd be foolish (to be charitable) to try to put yourself on any medication like that WITHOUT consulting a physician....prevention is worth millions in this case...USE IT.

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 06:09 AM
Jed

I don't think Mcat was saying that ?he was thinking of taking anti-malarial medication without seeing a doctor, but whether malaria is enough a problem that he should see a doctor.

In answer to the question, the CDC says that there is no risk of malaria in Belize City or Mexican resorts, "although tourists should use insect repellent and other anti-mosquito measures." See <http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalma...merica.htm>

Fodors is a great site for all sorts of travel info, but for your health you may want a more professional opinion.

Old Mar 15th, 2004, 06:11 AM

Contact your Md or a travel clinic or go to the cdc web site. I doubt if you would need anything for Cozumel but am not sure about Belize.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:49 AM
PJKeay

Most british pharmacies have access to the same advice as Doctors and have qualified pharmacists to advise. I tend to go to these as a first stop if I'm not sure, generally our doctors seem to prefer that we do this as well. There may be a similar set-ups elsewhere

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 07:04 PM

I spent a day in each, roughing it in the woods for a cruise excursion in Belize. I used no bug spray or anything. You will be fine.
Your cruise line will inform you of anythng you need to have at each place.