Reload this Page >

discover scuba excursion

Search

discover scuba excursion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 02:48 AM
mike

discover scuba excursion

Going on the Dawn in Dec'00. Has anyone arranged their own resort course scuba dive, particularly in ST. Thomas? Should I stick with the ship excusion, since we're new at diving?

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Bob

As a Diving Instructor I'd recommend you stick with the cruise line because of time. Depending on what group is certifying the course (PADI, NAUI, etc) each require a certain amount of pool training before you go diving. <BR>Some of the lines accomplish this pool training on board before you get to port. It would be hard to find anyone in port that could give you all the advance training and take you on a dive all in the short time your ship is in port. <BR>If anyone tells you that they can just take you out diving without advance training DON'T USE THEM! Diving is dangerous without proper training. If you do use ANY such course make sure they are certified by a reputable organization such as PADI,etc. <BR>Enjoy your cruise and be safe. <BR>Bob

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 03:39 PM
Bruce

I agree with Bob. Go with the ships deal, especially if you are cruising Princess, as they are PADI certified, and will provide the proper, safe instruction onboard before you go out to the open water. The Resort Diver program works like this: you have a short class to go to where you will be introduced to the gear and the basic techniques, then you will practice with the gear in the pool to get familiar with it before you dive. On the open water dive, you and the instructor will tour around underwater and see wonders that mear snorklers won't. But why not get certified instead? Then you can dive on your own, with a buddy of course. Just a suggestion. I think Princess offers certification. <BR>Good luck and stay wet, Bruce

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 03:05 AM
mike

Thanks for your feedback. I will stick with the princess package, and look into the certification. <BR>Thanks again, <BR>mike

Old Nov 10th, 2000, 04:43 PM
bruce

<BR>Mike, I read your post on the Fodor's site. Here is a link that I'm sure will interest you <BR>http://www.cokidive.com/ <BR>If you look over this site, you will find that they provide the discover scuba excursion for Princess. They also give a price <BR>to do it on your own. I don't know the Princess price, so compare the two. <BR> <BR>Good luck and stay wet <BR>Bruce

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 02:58 AM
Mike

Bruce, <BR>Thanks a lot. I will certainly check that out. I appreciate your help. <BR>Mike

Old Nov 11th, 2000, 03:05 AM
Mike

Bruce, <BR>I checked it out and it looks perfect. It will be cheaper and I won't be tied to the cruise tour schedule. It says you can snorkel after the dive. And since they will provide transportation, I don't have to leave right away. <BR>Planning on gettin wet, so thanks again. <BR>Mike