Cruising with an infant??

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruising with an infant??

Has anyone cruised with an infant? We are supposed to go on a family reunion to celebrate my in-laws 50th anniversary. But we will have an 10 month old. Bringing a week's worth of baby food and diapers (without the ability to pop into a store if yourun out) seems a little scary. Any experiences?

THANKS!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:05 AM

No, I haven't cruised with an infant. However, I've cruised many times and I've raised two kids so I can pull the two together.

First, you might want to go to www.cruisecritic.com and do a search on "infant" and get some tips from those who have done this and how they felt about it after they returned.

I'm sure your inlaws would love to have you join them. Any chance that relatives from your side of the family would like to babysit for a week so you and hubby can get away and have a romantic week without the baby? Yes, yes, I know - you think you will miss the baby, but I can assure you --- it will be so good for your marriage. So as a mom of grown kids, my advice is -- if you can possibly get a trusted parent or sibling or best friend to babysit for a week, go for it. The 10 month old will have a great time too.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 04:45 AM

I agree with Jasmine. If there is any way to get someone you trust to watch the little one, you'd be much better off.

In addition to the issues you identified, keep in mind that most lines do not offer baby sitting, if anything they will try to find a female staff member to stay in your room for a while...who you would need to pay of course. And lines do not offer day-care or programs for children this young.
Not much help I know, but it sounds like your in a tight spot since it is a family reunion and it's not like you can leave the baby with a family member since they'll probably be coming to.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! There will be no one else to leave the baby with.....so either we take baby on cruise, or not go, or try to change the reunion to a different locale.
Hoping someone else will respond that has travelled with an infant!
Thanks again!!
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 10:12 AM

also keep in mind, some lines offer lower rates for infants, then you just pay taxes, but most charge full fare for 3rd/4th pax no matter what the age. If you have already booked them you know that already I guess...
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Never cruised with an infant, but certainly traveled with our kids when they were that small. The good points about it being a cruise is that you actually handle your luggage minimally - check it at pier and it appears at your cabin - so the baby stuff is not something you have to carry. I would check on both availability of portable crib and if it will fit easily in cabin.

The downside is that it will be less of a vacation than some other trips you could take with an infant. Cabins are small, and a sleeping baby in that close proximity can be noisy. You probably can't take the baby to shows, etc. and will have to decide for yourself if you feel comfortable whatever babysitting the ship offers.

If you don't want to go, the baby presents a reasonable excuse - but if you want to go, it should be doable, if not relaxing.

In the past, some posters here really do not understand that some of us actually have no family member to leave infant with if we need to or want to travel - we were not blessed with large family of willing and able babysitters, so modified our travel and always took them with us (they are now teenagers).
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 04:29 PM

Check with your cruiseline to see if they offer baby food on board...seems to me that I looked into it once when my child was an infant and Holland America or Princess did provide it. You needed to make arrangements prior to embarkation. As for the diapers, not sure where you are cruising to, but unless you are going trans-atlantic and at sea for days, almost everyday offers a new port to go ashore and find a market or convenience store as you are touring the sights. My child's first cruise was at age 3 and I brought snacks, six packs of bottled water and boxes of juice pouches all in one rolling expandable duffle bag. Going home it was great as I packed the duffle with dirty laundry and loaded up my empty suitcase with souvenirs from the two weeks in Europe! Traveling with children at any age takes a little more planning, but it is worth it. Take the baby and make great memories together with your family!
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 11:55 AM

We cruised with an infant (my nephew) They are not allowed in any of the pools. There are not kid programs for that age. They do have babysitting so you can enjoy some meals in peace. It will be nice when you get off the boat and visit beaches etc... Just on the ship you will have to be moving around alot so the little tot won't get bored.
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Many ships only have in room babysitting for children over one year old and none allow any participation in supervised day care at that age.

Many will provide a crib and formula.

Cruisecritic.com is a much better source of info.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Just completed a wonderful (and pretty hard to organize!)family reunion to celebrate my husband's 70th birthday- not on a cruise, but at a lodge which had similar dynamics. To be honest, shlepping a 10 month old on a cruise won't be easy but it will be a HUGE disappointment to your in-laws if you don't go.
If you were considering the cruise on your own I'd say not to, but think of all the other loving adults you will be with who can help out with the baby - I'm sure they'll give a hand.