Reload this Page >

Cruisenews 1/23/02

Search

Cruisenews 1/23/02

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2002, 11:15 PM
Paul Therault

Cruisenews 1/23/02

Holland America will eliminate it's smoking section in the dining rooms of all ships on February 1 with the exception of the Amsterdam which will implement the new policy after it's 100 day Grand World Voyage on April 30.<BR><BR>World Explorer Cruises welcomes solo travelers with a wide range of accommodations with no surcharge. The line has increased the number of solo cabins to 80 per sailing for it's 2002 cruising season in Alaska and Central America.<BR><BR>An airport first.... Harley-Davidson<BR>motorcycles are now available for rent at Palm Springs International Airport. Vroom.<BR><BR>Royal Caribbean guests are now eligible for greatly enhanced benefits as members of the Crown & Anchor Sciety loyalty program. The redesigned program now comes in three varities - Gold, Platinum and Diamond. Silver level members from the previous program are automatically upgraded to the Gold level. Gold members after one cruise, Platinum after 5th cruise and Diamond after the 10th cruise.<BR>The perks are too detailed to post here. Sign up and get info by going to www.royalcaribbean.com.<BR><BR>Oh gosh .... An American woman has filed a complaint with SAS Airlines after a high-pressure vacuum flush sealed her to the toilet seat of the transAtlantic airliner whe was flying on last year. She got sucked in after pushing the flush button while seated, activiating a system to clean the toilet by vacuum, the airline said. "she could not get up by herself and had to sit on the toilet until the flight had landed so that the ground technicians could help her get loose." a SAS spokeswoman said. <BR><BR>Until next time.<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 02:42 PM
wally

Thanks Paul for the updates you post.I have 2 questions. 1st- I sailed on Princess to Alaska last June and didnt receive any mailings about the Captains Club for future discounts. I didnt get a number or anything for this program. Should I call Princess? 2. What do you see happening with cruise prices next summer- specifically Grand Princess in the Carribean? What would be a good price to look for, an inside room is fine. How much of a discount would a past passenger get?

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 11:08 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Wally,<BR><BR>The reason you are not being recognized as a past-passenger is because you did not fill out the comment card at the end of your cruise. If you did, you would get the magazine automatically.<BR><BR>To join the Captain's Club now you would have to call your travel agent or possibly the info may be on their website or you may try calling yourself. They will issue you a number but you will have to give them the date of your last sailing and the ship.<BR><BR>I just dragged out the last Captain's Circle Magazine and I see discount coupons for exotic destinations (this is the usual thing). They attempt to fill the ships where the prices are high to begin with. All the coupons have expiration dates.<BR><BR>Most of these "free" clubs do not give you much.<BR><BR>Celebrity's club costs $35 and you would get an upgrade on any sailing but a travel agent can probably get you an upgrade without being in the club.<BR><BR>RCCL's club is free and you would get a 5% discount in the stores (big deal). You do get many more perks if you sail with them frequently. As a matter of fact the new club is great for 10 or more cruises.<BR><BR>As for your favorite Princess line. Occassionally they do give discounts for past passengers. Ask your travel agent to see. Prices all seem to be holding at 2001 rates except for Disney who always has been ornery. They have a captive audience. Shop around.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 03:03 AM
wally

Actually I did fill out the comment card and deposited in the lobby collection bin.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 11:38 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Oh dear, I guess they messed up. Well it usually works. It is not too late to sign up.<BR><BR>Paul