Reload this Page >

Cruise lines compared to Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 07:00 AM
Laura

It is hard to get a real feel as to what kind of line Carnival is? Could you help me and compare Carnival, Royal and Princess to a hotel )Holiday Inn, Hyatt Ritz, Marriot ect...)so that I can have some point of reference? Thank you

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 08:53 AM
Marilyn

Laura, <BR>This question is almost impossible to answer as posed. Carnival's ships are varied from Holiday to Pride and everywhere in between. Same as RCCl where to can select anything from Radiance to Viking Serenade. I've stayed at some great Holiday Inns and Marriotts and also some that were not good at all. I think the best advice is to choose by the ship and not the line other than to say that the "personality" of Carnival is FUN. I have had excellent. Think about some of the things you expect from the cruise and try to match up that way. Sorry this really doesn't answer you question as well as you would like. Do you have a specific ship you wonder about? That might generate more helpful answers.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 06:46 PM
Beth

<BR>I agree with the above poster as I also have been on 2-4 ships on several lines and they can vary greatly. Just as hotels can, especially in different parts of the world. What I also do first is decide on the itinerary or part of the world you want to see. Then research each ship not line that is doing this itinerary. List each ship on this forum and get other's opinions, however make sure those giving opinions have been on at least two of the ships you are considering otherwise they really can't compare. Everyone loves their first or second cruise, it's not till you have several under your belt that you can look back more objectively.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 09:59 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Great reports. Hopefully this Fodors message board will return to all quality responses such as the above. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 05:58 AM
I want to know too!!

I understand what Laura is asking, and I too am looking for this kind of info... really want I want are just generalized comparisons, of course I realize that Holiday Inn A and HolidayB in can vary, I still think there is a overall impression that it is a budget hotel, so If someone gave me the comparisson that ship A is like a HI I will be able to picture a ship that anthough notfancy, still takes me to islands I want to go to, just like an HI is not fancy but gives me a place to sleep... <BR> <BR>This is what I mean when I say...help can you compare (I know this will be generalized) chain hotels with similar in reputation ships/cruise lines... <BR> <BR>Thanks, I hope this makes sense!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 07:00 AM
Lynnie

I have a general cruise book, (I think it's Fodors) and it is helpful to me as a first time cruiser. If you don't want to buy it, look at the public library.