Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Cruise ideas for a Mom with 2 teens (19) (14) and one young adult (23)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to come up with a vacation for my kids and me. I have never been into the idea of going on a cruise but I am considering it. I live in California....I would love to hear about your favorite family cruise vacations. What works and what doesn't I am not really wanting to go to Alaska.
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:25 AM

Too bad you're not interested in Alaska. I would think that is the ideal cruise to take with older kids and young adults. Another thought is a Panama Canal cruise. There are many to choose from in all sorts of price ranges, since you don't indicate anything about budget. Cruises in French Polynesia are spectacular, especially on the Paul Gauguin, but they are extravagant. I wouldn't think a Caribbean cruise would be that appealing to Californians. Since you haven't cruised before, maybe a relatively short Mexican Riviera cruise would be a good idea. I suggested you look at vacationstogo.com which categorizes cruises by location (among other search mechanisms) and take it from there.
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:40 PM

If you live in California, you can start from LA or SF or SD. Mexican Riviera, Hawaiin, Alaska and Panama are all options. If you have not cruise before and want to try it out, a 3 or 4 day coastal on a re-positioning maybe an option.

For 14,19 and 23. They are so diverse in their taste so it is tough to just pick one. Boys or girls at those ages are also different. Other factors are where have they been to? Do they like historic, culture, water sports, sun spots or sight seeing? For scenic tours, is it people and buildings or natural wonders?

If you offer more info on their taste, better suggestions can be made. As an example, many people travel to Mexico for the beaches whereas we travel to Mexico for the Mayan ruins.

Without knowing much detail, here are options (without mentioning Alaska):

For close to home, do a 7 day mexican riveria in the winter If if you have more time, a 10 day round trip Panama Canal.
If you have mroe time still, 14 day full tarnsit and fly back from Florida.

For East coast, New England and Canada in the Fall. 7 to 10 days, starts from New York or Quebec City.

For South America, the Amazon River in May is good. Forget about rounding the cape if you don't like the cold. You will be looking at longer trips to this part of thw world.

For Europe, any of the Med crusie would be nice. That would include west med, east med and holyland. If you don't like Alaska, the Baltic is out. YOu will be looking at 2 weeks minimum.

And of course, don't forget about the Carribbean and the Pacific or Asian cruises. The Carribbran is usually a good starting point and has a lot of chocies. West is more popular and cheaper. East and south is a bit more expensive due to distance.

Cruising is a very nice way to travel. It's a travel sampler. You unpack once but stop at many places. Whatever you choose, it will be a relaxing fun time. Good luck!
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Where have you always wanted to go? Just because you live in CA. doesn't mean you need to leave from there. It isn't a really good time to be visiting Mexico,IMO. Just because you live in CA. don't rule out the Caribbean. They are completely two different places.
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi thank you for all the replies. I am sorry that I didn't give much detail before. Thinking of July travel. I am interested in beautiful beaches, historical sites, art, culture, and great food. My kids would like to do water sports, beaches, older ones... clubing scouting for girls. (Haha young guys what can I say) This is why I am thinking a cruise could be good for them... I have traveled to Europe many times and have taken my kids 3 times. I love Europe but don't think I am up for it his year due to the cost. Unless there is a great deal out there. I don't really like Mexico. I have been many times and every time I think hummmmm why did I go again. I am really hesitant to go on a cruise because I don't like Las Vegas and as soon as they start to describe the ships they bring up shows and floating cities. My other concerns are the ports they take you to. I don't want to go to places like St Thomas. There is nothing to do there except shop for not so interesting things. I want quality destinations not Disneyland by the sea. Maybe I should choose a great destination and just stay put. Even a Club Med could be good not mexico or bahamas however. Any ideas?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM

Here is my suggestion. It is strictly my personal opinion and take it with a grain of salt.

Based on your descriptions, you fit the Princess and Celebrity profile more so than the Carnival RCL NCL HAL etc.

With that said, based on activities, I like to recommend a simple Western Caribbean 7 days, with stops on Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Jamica and the cruise line's private island/beach.

Beautuful beaches at Garnd Cayman, cost only cab fare or a brisk walk. Cozumel offers many choices of Myan Ruinbs (Talum and Coba come to mind) as well as the Eco Park. They are all located on the mainland so it is only a ferry and bus ride away. The cruise ships offer excursions to those stops. Options are to stay on the island and there are several smaller Mayan Ruins, very nice beaches etc.

Jamica can be problematic. But there are kayaking, botanic gardens etc plus real culture differences that can offer great experiences. Zips line could be fun for the younger ones.

The cruse ship's private beaches offers snokering and water sport in a very safe enviroment.

Based on the above, you will one day of water sports (private beach), one day of adventure (Jamica zip line/culture/sea kayak/botanic garden), one day at a Mayan Ruin (Cozumel), and one day relaxing on the beach (Grand Cayman).

On the remaining 3 sea days, explore the ship, take in a show or a movie, take some classes (pottery, computer, dancing), visit the ship's library, play some board games in the card room, spend time at the attrium and listen to a piano player or a trio playing light classical music, play mini golf, ping pong, and on and on ....

I will pick Princess over Celebrity for the simple reason that they have a better "education" component on their ships. They have guest lecturers and give free lectures. They also offer digitalphotography lessons as well as computer lessons.

I know you live on the West coast but really, the chooice is limited for crusing on the west coast unless you want to go to Alaska.

Hope this helps!