Carnival's Fantasy

Search

Carnival's Fantasy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carnival's Fantasy

My husband and I want to take a cruise out of Charleston, SC to the Bahamas or the Carribbean. However, there doesn't seem to be many ships departing from that port in June - July, 2010 which is when we can travel.
Has anyone ever been on Carnival's Fantasy ship? What is the ship like?
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 02:51 AM

Follow this link and you can read plenty of reviews on this ship and cruise:
http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...=ship&shipID=6

I've not been on the Fantasy but I have been on the Elation, which is a sister ship. It was perfectly OK, although it could do with more elevators. You can find deck layouts on Carnival's site and elsewhere. The different cruise lines have different styles, and Carnival is not to everyone's taste. Do you have any specific questions?
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

This is our first cruise so I would like it to be a decent one.
What sort of entertainment do they have?
Are there lots of families and small children/teens?
We are in our 50's and don't mind children but I don't think we would want to be on a ship with all children.
How is the food?
How are the ports?
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Joisey:

I've sailed two of Carnival's sister ships on short cruises: the Fascination and the Imagination. Fantasy is the oldest in her class (built in 1990) but just underwent an extensive refurbishment in 2008 ($250 million spread across the 8 ships in the class), so she should be in excellent shape.

Personally, I like the size of the ship--about 75,000 tons. Big enough that there's plenty to do, but not too huge.

In the summer you will see lots of kids and teens on Carnival--especially around the pools. However, there should be plenty of places to avoid them. I think the food on Carnival is very good. It's not 5-star, but most of meals I've had in the dining room would not have disappointed me if I'd been served them in an above-average restaurant.

Onboard entertainment is Carnival's strong suit. There will be several bars with different kinds of live music (usually a jazz group, a piano bar, a small rock combo and sometimes another option), plus karaoke, Broadway-style shows, and usually a late-night comedian a couple of nights.

As to the ports, I'm not a big fan of Nassau. There's supposed to be some good shopping, and there are some OK beaches. Snorkeling isn't very good. If you've never done a dolphin swim I would highly recommend it.

I've never been to Freeport, but Key West is a fun little town to walk around for a few hours. The Hemingway house tour is neat (especially if you like cats).

Overall, a cruise from a port you can drive to is a very stress-free, inexpensive vacation. I think you'll enjoy it.

Good luck!
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. I am going to do a little more research. I really would like to go on a cruise since I have never done one and Charleston is only a couple of hours away from where we live now. That in itself is a definate plus!
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

One more question I have is how are the rooms? Is it worth the money to upgrade to a suite? What rooms would you recommend?