Search

Carnival Drunks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Peter

Carnival Drunks

As some of you know, I will never sail Carnival because I believe they have MORE than their share of drunks on board increasing my chances of having one for a tablemate or neighbor. I ran across this post from another cruise message board from a recent Carnival passenger; typical of what I fear:<BR><BR>"I'm glad the previous poster had a good time on the Pride. I wish our time had been better. Yes, I've seen drunks on occasion on Princess ships. But NOTHING like we saw on the 6/29 sailing of the Pride. We were surounded every night at dinner by folks who arrived drunk, stayed drunk, and probably staggered off the ship at the end of the week. When was the last time you saw someone on a Princess ship spraying the waiters with "silly string"???! And it wasn't just at dinner. The "Fun Ships"...hmmm...why does that seem to equate to getting loaded to some people? The food was OK at best in the Normandie, service was rushed and mostly impersonal, the dining room was too bright, too loud and at least at our location (table 100, almost under the stairs to the second level), the floor vibrated through dinner every night. Now add things like saltwater pools (that are closed at night), virtually no life on deck after 8 p.m., screwed up reservations in David's, a stern pool that had to be drained on the last day because someone went in with their baby in diapers and the kid left a "deposit", and total anarchy in the distribution of tender tickets. No cruise is perfect (well, maybe your first cruise!) but after a certain point annoyances add up and become unacceptable. Although I'm no seasoned veteran like some on this board, I think you'll find that most of those who are unequivocal in their praise of Carnival have only cruised Carnival, and in most cases only once or twice. If they had a great time and were satisfied with the service, food, and the overall experience, well all I can say is God Bless."

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Peter

P.S. To reinforce this post, read the second response to the "funniest thing" thread on this board.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Past Sailor

Peter, you really should not bash something that you haven't tried. Especially, not with flimsy reasoning as you have provided.<BR><BR>Do you really think that "saltwater pools" and pools that are "closed at night" are limited only to Carnival ships? Come on,now.<BR><BR>Also, someone getting seasick on a ship certainly cannot be the fault of the cruiseline.<BR><BR>As for people spraying waiters with silly string - I wish I were at that table. That sounds pretty FUN to me and something that should be expected on a FUN ship.<BR><BR>I have sailed many lines and I have sailed the Carnival Pride and I can assure you that the person's post is not indicative of my experience. Her sinner companions and seating arrangement were nothing like mine at all.<BR><BR>Also it seems inconsistent of that author to bash Carnival for having a fun ship in one breath and then complain that the ship was dead after 8pm. Do you really believe that both can be true?<BR><BR>As for drunks, I assure you that you will find drunks on all cruises, no matter the cost or amount of income. the only difference is that rich drunks may not drink domestic beer.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 10:33 AM
deedles

I've sailed Carnival twice and loved it. You will find drunks on any cruise as well as annoying "stick in the mud" pain in the neck sticklers like Peter. If you don't want to have fun then go on the old fart ship.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Pater

Peter has NEVER sailed on a Carnival ship---I have 11 times--once on the Pride. I have Sailed on Royal Caribbean (Peters first love)Princess, Celebrity, Holland America for a total of 22 cruises.<BR>YES, I have seen drunks on Carnival--YES, on the others also.<BR> For Peters information, the worst cruise I was ever on was the Royal Caribbean Grandeur of The Seas.<BR> Our cabin (with a balcony) had a large dishpan size stain on the carpet in the middle of the floor--we asked several times for it to be cleaned to no avail--the cabin steward did the bare minium to try to get by--our luggage was left in the hallway by the elevator,( where I found it myself, after the crew couldn't locate it) There were two crew members standng by the elevator talking-- I had to ask them to excuse me to retrieve my own luggage--<BR>Dining room service was poor in that the waiter was overworked and his assistant did little to assist him--<BR>We tried room service to avoid the dining room--it was cold when it arrived--Kids ran wild--when we were at the pursers desk asking if they could do something about the kids running amok, the purser said "what kids"--<BR>just as something came whizzing through the air and several kids came running down the stairs-- he just smiled and said"what kids"--disembarkation was a total nightmare--just a few of the things wrong on that particular cruise--Could it just have been a fluke? Sure, I guess.<BR>Point is, I have been on other lines and can make a comparison--Peter has NOT been on Carnival but has branded the as unworthy.<BR>You find drunks and loudmouths wherever you go, not just on cruises and not just on Carnival, Peter---been there and know.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Karen

I agree with Past Sailor, deedles & Pater. I have sailed on Norwegian, and Royal Carribean and found drunken passengers. Unfortunately you had to be seated with drunks, but you can't blame a cruise line for a group of ignorant people. As for the drunks - Same ignorance - different class. I sailed the Pride this year and I had a great time and I am looking forward to sailing Carnival again.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Paul Therault

I find more booozers on the cruise lines where the liquor is included in the price. It is the person, not the cruise line. Just visit your local country-club.<BR><BR>As far as the fun ship Carnival Pride .... granted the dining room looks like a huge Dennys but I did not see anyone leaving when the wait staff was dancing. Great time!<BR><BR>Carnival in not church and it is not for everyone. It's for those that want to have a good time on vacation with good food and great entertainment.<BR><BR>Happy cruisin'<BR><BR>Paul

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Peter

Paul, welcome back from vacation and say hi to Mary for me and thank her for the info.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:24 PM
PhiloT

Peter, why do you suggest Carnival is a bunch of drunks? Just because I enjoy drinking a fifth of gin each nite with my dear old mum doesn't make my a drunk. I luv Carnival and I luv to drink with my mum. And Carnival ain't just for youngsters you know, I am 52 and me mum who always travels with me is 73

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 05:59 AM
Peter

PhiloT - heads up - cheap cruise on the Jubilee for 5 days according to Paul - right up your alley.

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:06 AM
PhiloT

Peter, thanks for the heads up. When does the Jubilee sail. Sounds like my cuise. Pay less to cruise so I have more for booze

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 08:34 AM
jackie

Thank you for all your information on our upcoming cruise with Carnival, Paul...in<BR>spite of all the bashing you get at this site, I wanted everyone to know what a nice, helpful email you sent to me personally. (And we aren't even your clients!) Thank you!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Peter

jackie - its only fair that you now post your review of your Carnival cruise when you return - thanks.