Reload this Page >

Can you bring your own soda to dinner?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Nancy

I have read on this board that many people bring their own soda on the ships. In fact, the last time I cruised I saw this guy with a whole pushcart of 5 twelve-packs of soda right in the open. He had no trouble getting on the ship.<BR><BR>So my question is, if the ships allow you to bring soda on, can you bring your own soda to dinner? We have 3 children and they consume a lot of soda (Pepsi and Dr. Pepper, neither of which are available on cruises). It would be cheaper if they can bring a drink or two to the table (that is even cheaper than getting one the fountain drink cards).<BR><BR>My question is this: If we sit at a table that is just our family, can we bring our own drinks?<BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Vicky

I know thatyou can bring your own wine to dinner and you pay a "corkage" fee (which usually is from $7-$10 per bottle.<BR><BR>So, maybe you can bring your own soda pop cans and pay a can-opening fee.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:23 PM
Red

Sure you can bring your own Cokes. <BR><BR>Maybe bring some rum too and then you can have a real fun time at dinner. By the way, wear whatever you want at dinner - even formal nights.<BR><BR>The cruise lines claim that they have a dress code but they NEVER turn people away at the doors. Ripped jeans and tank top - just fine!<BR><BR>Oh yea, don't be quiet. Be loud (not obnoxious) but loud is fine. You are on vacation after all!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 03:40 PM
jb

rather than cart all that soda on board, check into the "Bottomless Soda" option that some cruises offer. I've heard it is around $10-15 per kid for the whole cruise.<BR><BR>Splurge a little - it's your vacation!

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 04:41 PM
pop

I don't mean to sound mean but want to ask an honest question.<BR>What is the big deal about buying cokes onboard ship? You have to spend a certain amount of money whether you get them at Walmart or on the ship, right?<BR>Does the small amount that you save bringing them with you warrant the time, trouble, etc of having to lug around extra baggage for a few dollars worth of coke? Just say no to a couple of photos, don't drop that other ten spot in the slots and you have basically paid for the cokes.<BR>It doesn't make sense to spend what a cruise costs, then try to squeeze $15-20.00 on cokes. Like one poster said, it's your vacation--splurge a little. <BR>The cost of cokes will not break you--if so, you don't honestly need to be going in the first place.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Debbie

I like to save money, too. Why not put a couple cans in your luggage from home, then when you get to your 1st port, buy a 2 liter or six pack? It works for me. Watch where the crew heads to shop when they hit the port (or ask) . They know where the good prices are!I enjoy shopping and it is a challenge for me to find a good deal while shopping for other things in the ports. I am a bargain shopper and after 38 cruises I know where most of the reasonable prices are. <BR> Also, I only drink my Pepsi in the cabin never taking it to the dining room. Tacky.....

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:03 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Nancy,<BR><BR>No problem bringing all the soft drinks you wish on a cruise. You can fill an entire suitcase. <BR><BR>I am sure no one will care if they see kids toting in cans of cola but may look strangly at adults carrying in six-packs.<BR><BR>Also, you may find it difficult to get a glass or two of complimentary ice cubes.<BR><BR>If you are sailing a Carnival ship you will find many complimenatry beverages in the buffet such as lemonade, juice, iced-tea, hot cocoa, coffee, tea. This, of course, is not available in the dining room. In the past Royal Caribbean had complimentary coke/cola in the dining room but this perk has ended.<BR><BR>I guess it all boils down to whether you care what other people think about you all carrying in your soft drinks.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:40 AM
Birdy

cheap cheap cheap!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:24 PM
griller

I like to cook out. I'm thinking about bringing my hibachi with me--sneaking it in the dining room with a couple of t-bones(smuggled in in my fridge/cooler).<BR> I wonder if they would let me order a salad/baked potato to go with it? Would they clean up after me, or would my wife have to do it?<BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:28 PM

Let the little pet that you smuggle on clean the grill for you.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 11:03 PM
Paul Therault

Hey all you boozlebrains. If Nancy's three kids drink 6 cans of coke each per day at $1.73 per can she wouild end up paying $217.98 for the week. That's not chump-change.<BR><BR>Granted she can purchase the soda card for $19.95 per kid for a 7 night cruise but I do not know if the glass of soda offered is really coke and not just cola. Anyone know?<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:39 AM
SodaKing

Paul: What does it cost to bring a family of 5 on a cruise? Do you mean that $60 total for 3 drink cards is going to make a difference. Based on your calculation fo 6 Cokes per day, that 126 can of Coke. 126 cans of Coke has got to run $30 or $40, so the net savings is $20 or $30 buck. Give me a break.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 05:30 PM
Paul Therault

Sorry, I guess went to a different school. One kid drinks 6 cans of coke each day @ !.73 per can. That equals $10.38 per day per kid times 7. $217.98. The soda cards will get you GLASSES of coke. I do not know if it is cola or coke. Nancy wants coke.<BR><BR>Better?<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:19 PM
slim

No, she does not want Coke. She wants Pepsi.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:36 PM
Dr.Sweets

If Nancy's kids are drinking over 100 cans of Coke on a 7 day cruise, she should be arrested for child abuse.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 09:57 PM
Paul Therault

Oh my God you're right. Nancy wants Pepsi, not coke. What now? Start over?<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:47 AM
Billie

Have a little class, please. I can't believe you want to teach your children to be so cheap. I agree with the previous poster who said if you can't spring for the cokes on board, you can't afford to even go. Instead of raising cheap little people with no class, make the effort and teach your kids how to act in an adult, hopefully classy, setting.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 05:53 PM
mm

You people are all nuts and must have way too much time on your hands

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 01:08 AM
Paul Therault

Yah we are, but it's a lot of fun.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Suggestion

Nancy,<BR>I don't mean to be mean, as some of the people on the board are, but maybe this would be a good time to try to teach your children a few lessons. First, that you can't always have what you want when you want it. Either they drink what the ship offers, or they can drink the free drinks. It might be a good opportunity to wean your kids from drinking so many sodas, which are nothing, but sugar. The dentist told my almost almosst grown kids that the dark sodas stain your teeth. Drinking multiple sodas daily is not very healthy, either. When you "SNEAK" on sodas, beer, or whatever, you are teaching kids to be dishonest, if that kind of thing is NOT allowed on your ship.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -