Reload this Page >

Bringing coral into US

Search

Bringing coral into US

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 05:25 PM
Kelly

Bringing coral into US

Has anyone ever heard that there are restrictions on bringing coral in to the US from the Caribbean? I heard this but don't believe there is any basis to it. Would like to know before next week.

Old Sep 16th, 2001, 08:49 PM
sandy

DON'T DO IT! Coral is a living thing. If everyine broke of a piece of coral and brought it home, there would be no more reefs for all of us to enoy. I can't believe you would even think of such a thing! SHAME ON YOU!

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 03:05 AM
MIKE

Isn't it possible to find a piece of coral on the beach that is not alive?

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Kelly

Oops! I really goofed. My wording was not as it should have been. I meant coral jewelry.......not live coral.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 02:56 PM
Bill

My wife has bought several pieces of coral on our cruises. Some black and some pink. You don't say where you are going but we were usually in the Eastern or Southern Car. if that matters.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 04:24 PM
Cathy

For high quality coral pieces, Bernard K. Passman is excellent. Not cheap. He has special permission to collect black coral. His stores are on St. Thomas and Grand Cayman, I believe. <BR> <BR>Other than that, I repeat what Sandy said...NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!! Don't buy it. You will also see tortishell for sale and it is illegal to import tortishell. Coral in the water is live and support of the coral jewlery trade, other than people like Bernard Passman will destroy the reefs. <BR> <BR>Other than Bernard Passman, I believe there are stiff penalties for importing Black Coral and tortishell products into the United States. Don't do it simply because of the fines. Don't buy illegal goods because it is the right thing to do.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 08:13 PM
Kelly

I'm not trying to do something terrible. I have a coral ring that I was given as a teenager and I would like to buy my daughter one also as graduation tradition. I also want some small coral earrings. I know I can get them here but thought that it would be a nice memory to have them from a special trip. I just wanted to know if it is illegal since I had never heard that. Cathy, why does only one jeweler have permission to sell it legally?

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 02:06 PM
Ginger

If coral jewelry doesn't come from live coral, where does it come from?

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 02:06 PM
Cathy

Only one jeweler has permision to sell black coral because if that permission were given to all, black coral would be decimated. Bernard Passman is expert in harvesting coral so that is will not be damaged. <BR> <BR>Coral is collection of millions of tiny living organisms. The typical coral reef you see while snorkling has taken a very, very long time to develop to that point. The very beautiful reef in Australia is thousands of years old. Touching live coral not only can result in a nasty sting, but damages the rest of the colony and the reef dies, and will not regenerate for hundreds of years. It is not like pruning a plant, that will grow back the next year. <BR> <BR>For those of us who love to dive and snorkle, preservation of reef systems is critical. Grand Cayman and Cozumel depend on a healthy protected reef, since that is their main draw. <BR> <BR>I know that black coral is endangered, I am not sure about pink. Be careful buying coral in the island, because much of it is not coral, it's plastic! With a reputable dealer like Passman, you are actually getting coral, you feel good because you are not contributing to the destruction of a coral reef, and you are getting a piece of jewelry that will appreciate in value. Kelly, I think something like this will make a great gift. <BR>Hope you get this info before you have to travel.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 10:30 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Terrific information Cathy. <BR> <BR>Paul