Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Beware Grand Circle Travel/Overseas Adventure Travel

Old May 7th, 2020, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I were excited to take our first river cruise with Grand Circle Travel/Overseas Adventure Travel (GCT/OAT) in The Netherlands in spring 2021 to see the flowers. As “Preferred Sir Edmund Hillary Club / Inner Circle Customers”, having made five previous trips with this company (customer number 962737), we pre-reserved our trip for mid-April 2021, and paid in full before the end of February 2020, over a year in advance. Per the Holland Ministry of Tourism, “Tulip season runs from the end of March until mid May, but the flowers are usually at their best halfway through April.” On the 22nd of April 2020 we received an unsolicited call from James, a representative of GCT/OAT informing us that our reservation for Holland and Belgium in Springtime, originally departing April 17, 2021, had been unilaterally cancelled and that we had been arbitrarily and without our permission or knowledge rebooked for the same tour departing March 17, 2021 a full month earlier. This change was made without our consent or acknowledgement, and per all available information, there would be no flowers during this period. Grand Circle Travel/Overseas Adventure Travel only offered a $250 credit per person to be applied to a future trip, and the option of booking another trip altogether. Any amount of compensatory money will not make the flowers appear in March. On the following day upon consulting the online trip availability we found that the same river cruise was still scheduled to depart but two days later with five spaces remaining available. In fact, one week later, Grand Circle website indicated that there were still spaces available, ostensibly cabins that no one wanted and GCT could not sell, on this cruise scheduled two days later than our original schedule. The few remaining cabins are substandard to the one that we pre-registered, pre-paid and reserved fourteen months in advance. However, we were not offered the option of re-booking on either later cruise. We consider this deceptive business practice, and un-professional as prior customers and a breach of contract, and will recommend that others seriously reconsider booking with Grand Circle Travel/Overseas Adventure Travel. Subsequent conversations from OAT/GCT have offered only paltry financial compensation for the same trip.

If this company treats "preferred customers" in this manner how will they treat new customers. We will never again encourage or refer friends to travel Grand Circle/Overseas Adventure Travel.
Old May 8th, 2020, 01:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OAT is non-accredited per the BBB, had a C- rating by them and per 23 customer reviews had 1 * out of 5.

Years ago they used to have an F rating and here on Fodors you saw shills touting them.

Sadly I have seen many complaints about their poor customer service. They are great if all goes well but fall apart when problems occur. I would never consider them for river cruising.

I am sorry you had this experience.

You could complain to the BBB and if you paid with a CC then you can file a complaint.

Best of luck.

Larry
https://www.bbb.org/us/ma/boston/pro...avel-0021-3848

Last edited by jacketwatch; May 8th, 2020 at 01:08 AM.