Best Europe River Cruises?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2022, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several old travelers from Texas. Looking for suggestions for a river cruise next April/May or September/October. Have traveled a lot but we don't know a lot about river cruises. Price is not the main ingredient. Looking for 7-10 day cruise. Suggestions?
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 02:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had a very good experience on AMAWaterways ; friends recently went on Uniworld River Cruise and were impressed. We did not have a good experience on Viking.
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 05:04 PM

We’ve taken 4 European river cruises with Tauck and enjoyed them very much.
Old Nov 4th, 2022, 07:57 AM

Tauck. Full stop!
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 02:30 PM

Tauck the most expensive. Very short trip for lots of money, no thanks. We were in France for three weeks spending less than their customers paid for an 8-day trip Paris-Normandy. Seriously?? Taking our first and last river cruise
this December, having travelled to Europe 16 times, via only 3 cruises, the rest usually on our own, one country at a time. But, dear girlfriend of mine and her boyfriend, are taking a Christmas Mkt tour on Vantage. We'll get a taste of Budapest and Prague. She has used them for river cruises as well as for African land tour, and has travelled extensively around the world, on a boat, usually Oceania. If she is fine with Vantage, then so are we! Would never go with Viking -- do you see how constantly they advertise on TV???? What does that tell you. There are more negative comments on Viking, probably because they are very popular.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 05:39 AM

Hello, Philip. I strongly advise taking a river cruise; it will definitely be a memorable and unique travel experience. Here are some suggestions for gorgeous scenery Europe river cruises that I enjoyed and you could put into consideration for your April/May or September/October time frame.
  1. Rhine River Cruise
  2. Danube River Cruise
  3. Seine River Cruise
  4. Douro River Cruise
  5. Volga River Cruise

There are many other rivers and destinations to visit that I haven't tried or experienced, each with its own unique beauty and attraction. So, before making a final decision, look for other reviews and suggestions as well. Remember to research each river cruise line and itinerary before starting on the trip and choose the one that best meets your preferences and budget.

Last edited by IvyOliver; Apr 11th, 2023 at 05:41 AM.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 12:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I hardly think a Volga cruise is a viable option -- just sayin' . . .
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
I hardly think a Volga cruise is a viable option -- just sayin' . . .

Have you considered a cruise on a luxury barge, with a very small group? I took one in Burgundy years ago and it was really lovely...the barge travels slowly and you can get off and walk, or sighsee, or eat, or bike, and get back onboard later on... Food was fabulous. I was invited by the company but would have paid my own freight...it was really that lovely. A&K has them now, and there are numerous other companies, and not only in France. For me that would be far, far better than one of those larger ships...not only that, but the barge company takes you on tours during the day--we visited Dijon, and went ballooning.
Old Apr 11th, 2023, 05:12 PM

We also did a barge trip through Burgundy with 4 other couples and had a terrific time. It’s a very leisurely way to travel. Fabulous food and wines coupled with sightseeing through the French countryside.
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by RoamsAround
We also did a barge trip through Burgundy with 4 other couples and had a terrific time. It’s a very leisurely way to travel. Fabulous food and wines coupled with sightseeing through the French countryside.

I'm so glad you took the Burgundy barge trip. Mine was so long ago that I nearly forgot about it until I began to read this thread. For people with some trouble getting around (ahem...a friend of mine..ahem), I think it would be a great idea. Just sitting on the deck and lounging while taking in the scenery would be great, and then there are the small group excursions from the barge.... I might look into this myself....Roams, what company did you go with?
Old Apr 12th, 2023, 01:24 PM

We booked our trip on the barge Adrienne through French Country Waterways LTD (www.fcwl.com). We booked the entire barge for our group of like minded friends who enjoyed fine dining and fine wines. Price included all meals, premium wines, cocktails, daily guided tours, plus one dinner at a Michelin 3-Star restaurant.