Reload this Page >

Barging in France

Search

Barging in France

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 12:42 PM
madelaine

Barging in France

We're a fairly active couple who is thinking of trying a canal or river cruise in France. We'd love to hear from anyone ever been on a barge and can make recommendations or describe what they are like, especially the food and staterooms.<BR><BR>thanks<BR>madelaine

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 03:23 PM
Marilyn

Dear Madelaine<BR><BR>We have taken two river barge cruises...one in France and the other in Be;gium/Holland. We love them. They are very low key, relaxed, no fancy dress, etc.<BR><BR>The food on the French trip was very good. Not great on the Belgium/Holland, but they were going into dry dock the next week so we may have been eating what had been left around (plus there were 11 of us on a barge that could have accommodated 32 so they sure weren't making much money.)<BR><BR>Unlike a cruise ship you don't travel at night. Often, we would leave the boat for a tour and catch up with the barge "down river." It travels at a very slow pace. One of the advantages, of course, is seeing the interior of a country rather than what is along its shoreline.<BR><BR>Rooms aren't huge, but adequate. We just loved sitting on the top deck and slowly watching the world go by.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 05:14 AM
madelaine

Thanks, Marilyn.<BR><BR>Do you recall what time of year you went or the barge company or name?<BR><BR>-Madelaine

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 01:12 PM
Pam

I've been interested in a barge trip for some time. A question I have is how do you get from the airport to the barge? I don't speak french - other than the basics, please, thank you, where's the bathroom - and am very timid about traveling in a foreign country without command of the language. This kind of trip sounds perfect for my husband and me other than that one hang up.

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 03:28 PM
Marilyn

We took the French trip in early September, I believe, and the Holland/Belgium trip in August. These trips were planned around personal schedules and committments not because these were necessarily the BEST times to go. I don't know. Maybe they were. <BR> <BR>In both cases we booked through Abercrombie & Kent. However, there are many barge tour companies out there. Do some checking on the internet. There is one company called The Barge Lady that I have seen mentioned a lot. Not everyone on the barges we were on had booked through A&K as we did. Sometimes a company will take over the whole barge & sell it; sometimes they only sell a portion of the cabins. There were people on our Holland cruise who had booked through another company and their package included airfare, hotels before and after and a half day guided tour of Amsterdam. Ours did not. So, my advise here is to shop around. <BR> <BR>Pam, as to your question. In both cases our groups met at a hotel and we were bussed to the barge, so the question is really how to get from the airport to the hotel. (BTW, in both cases many passengers stayed at the hotel where we met, or, possibly flew in that morning, but we had arrived in each departure city a few days ahead and did our own site seeing and stayed at less costly hotels.) You will have no language difficulty once you are at a Paris hotel. They all speak English, but do try your French. I must confess that when I speak French I am usually answered in English, but at least they understood me! If you are uncomfortable though, just write down the name and address of your destination and hand it to the van or taxi driver. Don't let language get in the way of a great time. On our French trip there were 51 passengers. All but four were Americans. The four were French and Swiss. Poor things. They couldn't understand why all the tours were in English. It was, after all, THEIR country. At one stop our wonderful guide went out of her way and made special arrangements to get them another (French speaking) guide! She spoke French, of course, but she had to haul us around in English. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Marilyn

P.S. If you haven't already done so, check out the Europe section of this site. There are some great comments and recommendations about barging.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 06:07 PM
andrea

Did a river cruise down rhone river in france from arles to lyon on mv Cezanne-there is newer ship out called the cazanne II-it has a pool. the river cruise is much bigger than a barge cruise. it's also leisurely-cabin and bathrooms in cabins good size. usually 1 seating dining room-very intimate-approx. 100 people-great excursions and fabulous scenery down the river including going thru the oldest locks--was actually better than panama canal cruise. have done 1 day barge cruise and wasn't impressed--too slow and scenery never really changes-did it in burgundy,france. only holds small amt.of people-like 10-20 people. so if there's a group together and you go alone,you may be by yourselves a lot. i personally loved the river cruise because you got to walk into some fabulous towns,go to wine tours etc--absolutely wonderful--would highly reccommend it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old May 4th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Nancy

Took the Athos on the Canal du Midi last summer with some friends. Wonderful - marvelous. I speak French - my husband doesn't - never a problem. Boat is English-owned - crew from all over the world - all speak English. What a great group! And the chef, Louie, would go anywhere with him. The day trips were well planned and the camaraderie excellent. Would highly recommend such an experience!

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Jean

The "creme de la creme" is definitely a luxury Barge Cruise in France by FrenchWaterways. <BR> <BR>I can tell because I am the one collecting feedbacks from returning passengers ! <BR> <BR>The web site is www.frenchwaterways.net <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>Jean