Baby in regular dining area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be taking the Carnival Legend (7 day Western Carribean). We will be taking our 7 month old son, who Carnival is charging very close to full price
Anyway, we were discussing that most of our meals will be in the room or on the buffet line.
However, we would like to spend one or two nights in the regular dining area. We have already selected the early seating (5:15pm) as that is when my son is typically in a good mood. Have you seen young toddlers/babies in the regular dining area? Does anyone know if they have high chairs? If he created any sort of fuss we would leave asap, but I wanted to know that we are not the only ones.

Before you respond, please understand that I am asking this question in order to be more considerate to other passangers on the ship. I know some people feel quite strongly that babies/small children only create problems and should not be allowed on cruises. My husband and I would prefer to continue to travel and cruising offers a more baby friendly option than our normal travels.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 01:58 PM

When I was on RC, next to our table there was a family with children. When they got up ready to leave, only then I saw the baby. It was so quiet all dinner, I didn't realize that baby was there!

I think when you fill out the final documentation for the cruise, there is a window for special requests. Put "high chair" in, what do you have to lose? Are you ready to keep the baby in lap if not?

And if he tosses something on the floor or makes a mess on the table, all it takes is a few more dollars in tips.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:22 PM

We went on a family cruise three years ago. My granddaughter was one year old. There were two other children at the table. One was five months old. We had no problems, although the girls did learn quickly that making a fuss got them taken out of the dining room which of course gave them an opportunity to play! They had such fun. So did we!
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM

My husband and I just went on a Princess cruise in Dec. with our in-laws and our 1 yr old niece. Personally I don't think I would ever want to take a baby on a cruise .....but I am not a baby person. My sister in-law and her husband had an easier time b/c grandma/grandpa were there to help out.
Our niece seemed to do fine on the ship and we did see a few other babies on board also. I don't feel that other passengers were bothered by her and most would actually come by and say hi to her. We did dinner every night (5pm-ish)in the main dining rooms and she sat in her high chair. She did get fussy each night at dinner b/c of her bed time (6pm-ish ship time) so someone always had to leave dinner early to put her down for the night. You are going on Carnival which is a big family ship so I don't think you should be overly worried about offending anyone. I think you should try and get to the main dining room at least a few times. They will have high chairs. Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM

November we took the entire family (11 month old grandson & 5 year old grandson) on the Carnival Spirit. We had a great experience at dinner and the staff was excellent with them. We had crayons and puzzles and stuff at the table. We did the early seating and had a high chair waiting for us.

The 11 month old did make a little mess on the floor and the 2nd night out I gave our waiter $20 directly.

After that they had fresh fruit and mac and cheese cut up for him waiting when we sat down.

I can't say enough about how they treated us with the grand kids. There were a couple of nights when the 11 month old got a little fuss due to cutting teeth and his mom or dad would take him for a little walk. Sometimes they came back and sometimes he went back to the cabin.

At 7 months you can take him to the play area, but you can't leave him.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 07:20 PM

On recent NCL cruise we saw a few infants/toddlers.

By all means take your son to the restaurants with you like you would do back home.

One couple selected later meal time (7:00ish-8:00) and their kid was already in pajamas and fast asleep in the stroller so they were able to enjoy their meal with wine.

Of course the cruises will have high chairs.

Since your son is still on baby food, I would suggest you feed and get him ready for bed and put him in stroller and select a later meal time.

ENJOY your cruise!!

Old Apr 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
isailtheseas

my only advice is ...the same as what you would do if you were in a fine dining restaurant at home...

if your baby starts crying and is unconsolable..

please take him outside until he's calm.
which is what you plan on doing (thank you for being considerate)!!!

The dining room can be sensory overload for some kids with all the movement and noise they aren't familiar with...for some others they are mesmorized into silence!!!

There are times that I didn't even know there was a child there, and others that the Maitre D asked the parents to leave because it was bothering so many passengers...and this was on formal night.

they have high chairs, but depending on his size you might want to bring a little extra blankie for boosting him up...

Old Jul 4th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Dad

I would be very hesitant to take our baby on another Carnival cruise. We sailed on the Legend in January 2008.

The cribs (all four of them) were broken with sharp edges exposed within easy access of the baby.

We had a suite and one glass shade was broken and they would not fix the broken glass the entire cruise.

I wrote to carnival and they denied the crib issue (despite the fact I have several pictures) and offered me a 20% discount on another cruise within a year.

I had asked for a proper response that included accepting responsibility and assurances that new equipment would be immediately installed on the Legend. After 6 months of asking -- nothing. So now I say, buyer beware.

If you do not have small children the other aspects of the ship are excellent. The dinner service was very good and the food was quite good.

We took my inlaws with us and everyone enjoyed themselves. The Cave Tubing in Belize is a must but save yourself half the cost by booking online directly with the company.

Nothing beats a balcony with a capuccino from room service (ordered the night before) to start the day of fun.

While we likely will not sail with Carnival again, we have sailed with several other cruise lines and most go out of their way to ensure your satisfaction. I guess Carnival is okay losing customers here and there.