Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

anyone used Captain Brian's for Stingray City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 10:28 AM
debbie

Anyone used Captain Brian's for stingray City tour - looking for not that crowded trip to Stingray City - any info would be appreciated! thanks!!!

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:45 PM
ian

Would HIGHLY recommend Captain Marvins. Would not recommend the cruise ship tour-overpriced, overcrowded, and little time spent where you want to be. Capt. Marvins has a web site but I do not have the address.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Polecat

We used Captain Brian a few years ago when we spent a week on Grand Cayman. We had a great time. There were about 10 people on his catamaran. When we got out to Stingray City, the tour boats from the cruise lines were there so he took us to a reef where the snorkeling was great. His assistant dove down to feed a resident moray eel and guided us to other hi-lites of the reef. When all the cruise ship tours were gone, we went to Stingray City and had it mostly to ourselves. At lunch time we went to a little beach south of Rum Point and had a nice picnic lunch, then we went to the coral gardens for more snorkeling before heading back to the dock.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 09:12 AM
debbie

Great - that is what we are looking for away from the maddening crowds so we can enjoy the stingrays! Any other operators or dive shops that dive the wall and a shipwreck would be appreciated! thanks, Debbie

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 07:25 PM
elisa

I would recommend Captain Marvins too. We went last year in May and found they have very friendly and experienced captain. There were probably 10-15 people on board. The other bigger boats (some might have more than 50 people on board) seemed to be following us. I think there were two or three spots that you would stop. One is to see the sting ray and the other is a big reef and there were tons of fish there. We even saw a nurse shark. I even touched the sting ray (probably should not have done that.) I seemed to recall that Captain Marvins is slightly more expensive.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 02:30 PM
No

Elisa--Go ahead and touch them. We even held them in the water while the ship's photographer took a pic!!<BR> We fed them squid, too. That is such an exciting excursion, no one should go to Grand Cayman and not do it.<BR> It might be a little overwhelming for pre-schoolers, though. You didn't ask any of those questions, but I just threw my 2 cents worth in!!<BR> Have fun!!!