Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Anyone taking a European River Cruise this year?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've booked with Viking River Cruises for a Danube Cruise in June. Would like to hear from fellow travellers. Last year, we met people through Fodor's board who were on our cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg. It was great to come aboard and "know someone". Mimi
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 09:16 AM

Mimi,<BR>We're booked on the Viking Europe's Danube Explorer itinerary in November. Would love to hear a trip report when you get back. Are you on the sailing that departs/arrives Vienna or Budapest?
Old Apr 2nd, 2003, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Dear Patty: We're sailing in and out of Vienna - to the Black Sea and back. Mimi
Old May 3rd, 2003, 05:27 PM

I'd like a full trip report when you get back too. We're on the Viking Danube from Basel to Amsterdam in September. I'm concerned about the dress on board because I want to pack light as we're going to take our time (9 days) getting from Amsterdam to Basel, just catching trains when the mood strikes us.
Have a great trip. Madeline
Old May 13th, 2003, 07:48 PM

Booked a river cruise with Uniworld going down the Rhine from Switzerland to the North Sea in early July. Would like comments from anyone about this trip.
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:51 AM

I would LOVE to do a river cruise.....Can I bring a 4 years old child on this type of cruise?

Is it more expensive than bigger cruise lines

Thanks!
Old May 20th, 2003, 12:21 PM

It depends on the cruise line. I'm booked on Viking, and I believe they don't allow anyone under the age of 12, but not positive. I'm paying $674 per person for a one week cruise not including air which I think is as good or better when compared to prices for ocean cruises, especially considering shore excursions are usually included in each port with river cruises (I think the exception is Peter Dielmann cruises). I've also seen some great bargains this year for Provence and Russia sailings on Viking. Too bad we can't do all of them!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:57 PM

We just booked the Viking Burgundy cruise from Avignon,Cat. B for $525 per person plus air on July 5th!!! 75% off---if Bush can make up with the Frence, so can we at these prices!
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 07:58 PM

Sorry make that the French in my last post!
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 07:25 AM

Narob - Please post a trip report when you get back. We are doing the same trip on 8/30. Unfortunately, for a lot more, but we booked months ago to use FF miles and prefer travelling in Sept Have a blast!!!

Sheila
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 07:25 AM

Would love info. on laundry services etc. on the Viking Danube. We leave on 8/30 but will also be taking trains for an addl. 8 days after arriving in Basel---so need to try to pack light. Also wondering how informal is acceptable. Thank You, Donna
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:28 AM

to Donna-
it has been a couple of years since I did a river cruise, but the dinner dress was coat and tie for men and nice dress for women-- NO need for cocktail attire...

for men- blazer with slax is fine...
for women-dress,nice pant suit,etc would also be fine...
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

To Donna: Did not use laundry service, so can't comment. Dress code is casual chic.....depending on weather, shorts/capris/slacks/sundress okay for breakfast, lunch and tours. For dinners, although some dress up because they want to, it's not necessary. A nice slack outfit is fine and jackets are optional for men. A tie is completely unnecesary, even on Captain's night. My husband wore golf/polo shirts most nights with casual slacks and the occasional silk shirt if he felt like dressing up. I took dressy white and black slacks which I alternatd each evening with various blouses/tops. It's open seating for meals, so you'll probably be dining with different people all the time who won't remember if you have to repeat an outfit. Mimi
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 10:01 AM

My husband and I are booked on the Viking Danube in September from Basel to Amsterdam (our first river cruise). I appreciate all the information I have received from this site already, and will certainly keep checking for updates -- particularly regarding that itinerary and Viking. Thanks for sharing, travelers!
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 02:53 AM

To all travelers-beware of all european river cruises now. Very low water levels has severely restricted movements of boats. {see other posts} This should continue for some time as all middle europe suffers from lack of rain.
Weather forecasts show this problem continuing with no end near!!!!