Anyone Cruised on Carnival Spirit?

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Donna

Anyone Cruised on Carnival Spirit?

My husband and I are planning a Cruise to Alaska in June 2002. Would like to hear from anyone that has cruised on Carnvial Spirit and what you think of the ship. Any info would be greatly appreciated, especially dress. This is only our 2nd cruise.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 12:51 PM
Sherrie

I too would love to hear reactions about the Spirit. I am sailing on her March 19th. Donna, I'll try to tell you my impressions when I return.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Donna

Thanks, Sherrie so much. I will look forward to your reply and hope you have a wonderful trip and everything goes good.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Donna,

I have sailed the Spirit and found it almost elegant. The ship is very well laid out and you will find it is not as confusing getting to the dining rooms such as other ships due to the placement of the galley.

The majority of the passengers on Carnival Alaska are older but it still has the "fun" atmosphere. Passengers do not all go to bed at 10PM.

The Southern route is just about the best of all cruise lines.

There is a cover over the pools for swimming if the weather is cold. You will enjoy the entertainment and the 24 hour food service. They have a Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant and of course the NY Deli and Asian Counter. You will enjoy Alaskan Salmon, lobster and prime rib served twice.

They have a naturalist on-board and the ship does slow down to a crawl when whales are swimming alongside the ship. Keep in mind that whales are not that plentiful in June.

Paul

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:16 AM
MW

Sherrie, I too would love to hear about the Spirit. We are doing the 8 night cruise to S. Caribbean on 3/27 and are somewhat nervous when we hear all the knocks about Carnival.
Paul, glad to hear your opinions, you seem to have lots of knowledge...what makes the southern route so good? Any good tips for shore excursions?

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Paul Therault

Southbound does the Hubbard Glacier and Yakutat Bay. It also ports at Valdez where you can view the pipeline terminal. You can take a tour (or better rent a car) to see the spectacular Keystone Canyon and Thompson Pass, Bridal Veil Falls and walk on the Worthington Glacier.

Sitka (Northbound) is OK. It is a Russian fishing village similar to Maine. Certainly not St. Petersburg.

Paul

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:04 AM
joyce

I had clients on the Spirit last July in Alaska. They Loved it!! They ate at the Supper Club twice and said it was well worth the extra $20 per person. When they returned they came to my office and we spent 3 hours looking at their pictures. These 2 couple are in their early 30's and had previously sailed on the Norwegian Dream and Disney Magic.
I really question these Carnival bashers. I have sailed on them about 6 times and never had a bad experience. I have sailed on RCCL and did not like them at all. Cabins are too small, and food and entertainment were just not as good. The RCCL staff was not nearly as friendly, dining service was not as good as Carnival.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:55 PM
Donna

Thanks, everyone for all the info. I have learned so much from all the forums. Can someone give me more info on the cabins. (ex. size, in-room safe, etc.) and also how dressy are the formal nights. I want to make sure we don't over or under dress for the occasion.

Thanks,
Donna

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:28 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Donna,

The cabins on all Carnival ships are 185 to 190 sq. ft. Large for a ship. Suites are larger. Balcony space is additional. Regular cabins do not have a fridge. They do have a safe, hair dryer, plenty of room for storage, sofa, small table and chairs. Good size bath and shower.

There are two formal nights and passengers do get dressed up. There are a majority of older passengers in Alaska.

Men are not out of place in a tux but most wear a dark suit. You will see some with just a dark sport jacket and tie. Women wear either cocktail dresses or gowns.

Paul

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Sherrie

MW - I think we'll probably pass each other on the dock. I return on the 26th. I hope you have a good cruise. I know I'm getting excite. (6 more days!)
Donna, if you want to check out room sizes, go to www.mytravelco.com
They have a 360 degree viewer of most cabins, on most ships. This will really help give you an idea of the look and feel. The Spirit looks beautiful.
Paul - I have heard conflicting prices for the Spirit's supper club. You've sailed recently haven't you? Is it $20 or $25 now?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Sherrie,

I stayed in a Cat. 12 Suite and I did not have to pay the service charge. If it was daytime I would call and find out the price for you. Your travel agent can call and get the info.

Paul

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Sharon

I sailed Carnival Spirit in March to the Southern Caribbean. The food and service were very good. The cabin was apacious with a good shower. The balcony is a must. It is very private and a good size. It's big enough for a twin mattress to sleep under the stars. We commented while on board that this would be THE ship to go to Alaska in. Because of the windows and balconies galore.

I suggest a cabin all the way in the back of the ship. The decks are tierred there and this allows a more open view to the sides and upward. I visited a balcony on the side of the ship. It was a box open on one side. The view was obstructed when sitting down. Of course if you can afford the suites, the balcony is to die for and the bathroom has a separate vanity area and a whirlpool tub.

In terms of the cons... I was really turned off by the decor. The pool deck was overwhelming with wild colors everywhere you look. The other public rooms were gaudy, overdone and lacked any degree of sophitication. The entertainment was mediocre.

In all, a memorable trip.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Nick DiGiaimo

Donna, I sailed the Spirit in November to Central America. What a gorgeous, classy ship! We opted to upgrade to the private balcony, at the back of the ship-yes, they are tiered, so don't walk out there naked if you are on a lower deck-my friends did and what a laught we got from our upstairs neighbors! Carnival food and entertainment has improved tremendously over the years. The Spirit has a fantastic disco (all ages hang out there)-and go to the Neuvo Supper Club at least once. The service, atmosphere, and especially the food are exquisite!! (And the tables have Tiffany lamps!-well worth the $20 surchage) Quite a classy jump for Carnival, with a huge helping of fun thrown in. Enjoy you r trip.

Old Jul 27th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Lori

I sailed on Carnival Spirit's very first sailing. Thought it was absolutely gorgeous. I can't see why anyone wouldn't like it. I thought the decor, (especially the tile floors in the public areas) were beautiful. Can't say enough about it, and would like to sail on it again.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:37 PM
cathi

Paul,

Any of Carnival's newer ships now or to come later this year have bathtubs in the balcony rooms?

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Cathi,

The no-tub concept has proven favorable on all the fun ships. I presume it has been researched quite thoroughly that most do not care to soak in a tub (too much going on) and also leaves more room for storage.

Carnival has been successful filling their ships to capacity without offering Disney type venues.

I personally thought they would build their new ultra-mega Conquest Class ships to compete with Royal Caribbeans' megas but I was wrong. These ships are just going to be the same as the others with only one alternative restaurant. All public areas and lounges, inlcuding the pools, will be a heck of a lot larger. Also a heck of a lot more passengers.

Carnival apparently is not concerned about filling their new ships since they are contining to be built while Royal Caribbean has stalled their newbuilds.

Interesting to see what will happen. I am sure it will benefit the sailing public since the prices will continue to be low or lower. Great value for your money, tub or no tub.

Nice to hear positive comments about Carnival on this site.

Happy cruising.

Paul

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 03:15 AM
Will

Hmmmm sounds like Cunard and White Star from the early 1900's Paul.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 09:32 AM
Cathi

Thanks for the info, Paul. We are planning a cruise with my husbands family next May to the Caribbean and are looking at the newer Carnival ships.
I really hate showers and keep hoping that one of the newer ones would provide the option of a bathtub without the "suite" price. Guess I am just out of luck. I would like a window or a balcony, though.
Is January a good time to book for a May date and get a good price? We have not picked our specific itinerary yet and since there are other couples involved who have cruised before then I am leaving that up to them. This is a first time cruise for me.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:02 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Cathi,

Difficult to really say when the early-booking prices end and the prices escalate. It is not really a science. I tried tracking a few times but it seems to be different for each ship and itinerary.

Since May and June are months that are not that popular for families I presume you are safe to book in January.

As a rule of thumb, for booking popular months such as July and August, six months in advance seem to be the norm. If you miss the early booking prices and the price does go up one would have to look for promotions at the last minute when the ship may not be filling. The price just "may" go back down to the early booking price.

The prices usually go up gradually but there are some weeks when I see the prices going up $25 each day.

Since Carnival does not have a problem filling their ships, it is a tough cruiseline. The only major promotions I see coming in later are the short cruises, the longer than 7 day cruises, and the air prices. If you book in advance and pay full price for the air be sure to tell your travel agent to check the air prices later for the promotions. But your travel agent has to be on the ball because the lower air prices sell fast. Sometimes within a couple of days.

Paul

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:43 AM
Cathi

Paul - if we book and the prices drop for the cruise are we stuck with the higher price or do they give us the lower price like you stated might be possible for airfares?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -