Antarctica - Internet

Old Jan 17th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antarctica - Internet

Going on the Corinthian 2 very soon to Antarctica. They do have internet you can buy time for. Anyone have any experience with that? Any other options?
Old Jan 25th, 2013, 09:40 AM

I was on the MS Expedition with G Adventures, but it's probably the same scenario. Internet access is often sold as data rather than as time because it's somewhat slow.

It really wasn't bad and wasn't as expensive as I expected. I did use a different email address while I was away so that I only had to pull up a tiny inbox rather than my normal one with lots of folders and tons of messages every day. I typed out my emails in Word and then just copied and pasted once I opened my email. I don't know if that actually did anything or not but it worked for me. I bought a 10MB 'card' and I think I got about 5 emails out and about 4 in. I completely avoided Facebook and websites, I only accessed Gmail.

There really aren't any other options. There aren't exactly cell towers so you're stuck to using their satelite. The phone cards they offered weren't nearly as expensive as I expected either so that might be something you can look at if you just want internet to keep in touch with family.
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 07:40 AM

IR,
Is G adventures the company that was GAP adventures. How was that company?
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 12:23 PM

Yes it is and they were fantastic! This was my first trip with them but many people on the ship had traveled with them before. It's always good when so many people want to come back to a tour company.
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 06:48 PM

I traveled with National Geographic this past December. Internet cards were sold based on increments of usage (the more minutes you buy, the less cost per/minute). For the most part, connectivity was really good. There were areas when we were between mountains that you couldn't get a signal. An announcement was made to let us know when we would be approaching those areas. I usually uploaded pictures at night after dinner once most folks had settled down. The less people on, the faster the connectivity. I composed my mail and attachments in notes and then copied and paste into email format.