Search

Antarctica-Expedition-Feb.2017-By OneOcean-

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2016, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Antarctica-Expedition-Feb.2017-By OneOcean-

Hi,
We are in the process of booking Antarctica Peninsula expedition trip (10days voyagge) on M/s Loffe offered by OneOcean. Earlier we have almost decided to go in Feb 15.2017 departure , However, we are getting better price option on 25th Feb departure.

Will there be any big difference in Wildlife Viewing and Weather condition between 15th Feb and 25th Feb. Our interest is camping as well as Kayaking, we are getting both on 25th Feb departure schedule but on 15th Feb schedule, Kayaking is sold out.

Any one also has experience of Kayaking in polar water, it is paid activity, we need to pay additional cost (around USD 700) to do Kayaking. Can any of you advice is it worth the cost, will we be missing some great adventure by not opting for it. In any case i=on Feb.15th Schedule we are not getting one. We would be more interested in good timing over activities, knowing fully well that Antarctica weather is highly unpredictable. Please guide us. Should we choose 15th Feb over 25th Feb for better period paying extra cost for same type of trip.

Any comment on OnceOean Expedtion based on your experience.
Thank you in advance
Zaf
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 09:56 AM

A simple google search using topics like "The Best Time of year to visit Antartica" will bring up links to many different articles outlining the pros & cons of each month and how even even the subtle differences of a week or two can affect what type of wildlife you might see.

Generally speaking, you'll find that late summer in Antarctica, February and early March, is the best time to spot whales. However, you are taking the risk that other wildlife may already be gone out to sea. The later in February you go, the bigger that risk becomes. That's why you are finding lower rates for the later tour departure date.

With regards to your other question, without knowing your financial condition, how you react to spending money (are you very frugal or a big spender???), what type of activities and what other activity/excursion you would do instead, there's no way anyone can tell you whether the extra cost of a kayaking excursion is "worth it".

You also asked, with regard to kayaking, "will we be missing some great adventure by not opting for it"? This is a classic example of "is the grass greener on the other side of the fence" syndrome. No one can give you a definitive answer since everybody experiences different things in different ways. When faced with a choice of activities where you don't have an option of doing both you have to decide for yourself which of those activities you want to do and not worry about what you might missing.
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Hello roundtheworld, thanks, certainly big difference in price for two dates (15th and 25th Feb) is making us think over it, otherwise we have already decided on 15th Feb. based on enough of past experiences and reading one does before going for any trip.

I wanted to know from Forum, does a big difference of 10 days in Feb makes great deal in terms weather conditon, chances of landing or viewing of wildlife substantially. I do not mind seeing fewer/more Penguin/Seals/Whales or their species or even snow, knowing fully well that Antarctica is any experience any time one goes.

We are not going there for kayaking, it also not on our priority. But just thought of asking the forum to weigh options differently, based on the cost involved. We certainly want to do camping which is covered on both dates, kayaking is an option.

Hope you agree, It is not matter of how much one would like to spend etc but what Value one getting out of each cent. This remains my experience and may be your's too.

Questions I asked is specific to VALUE FOR MONEY nothing else.
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 03:43 PM

You said: "Questions I asked is specific to VALUE FOR MONEY nothing else".

Well, the answer to that very general question is the very general answer - "You get what you pay for".

To put things in perspective - you are asking people to try and put a dollar value on the type and number of wildlife that you might see. The problem is Mother Nature will control what you see during any given time frame. Unless you actually go during both times there is no way anyone can tell you what will happen in the middle of next February vs. late February or early March.

Suffice to say you are going "late in the season" and hundreds, if not thousands, of tourists will have already come and gone during "peak time". It is a bit like being at the end of the line at a buffet supper or going to a botanical garden after the flowers have been in full bloom - things have been pretty well picked over. There is a reason the later tour dates cost less and that's mainly because experience shows the odds are it won't be quite as good as "peak season".

So, are you willing to pay a bit more for better odds or risk paying less with the hope you'll be lucky. The thing is you won't know the answer unless you go at both times and can compare what actually happened.
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

@RoamsAround- Thank you for your comments and advice.
Old Nov 13th, 2016, 06:47 AM

We were in Antarctica a few years ago on the last cruise of the season (first week of March) with Quark. We had OK weather - a bit of everything (including quite a storm!). The week before it had been sunny everyday. So I think the weather is so variable it's impossible to time a trip perfectly. I'd take the lower cost cruise option myself.

We saw almost 300 whales and tons of penguins and birds - no shortage of animals.
Old Dec 12th, 2016, 04:37 AM

You've probably already booked by this point but it really won't matter which dates you go in February. Weather is always variable so it will be hard to say in advance but the wildlife will be pretty much the same around Feb 15 as Feb 25. February is a great time to be on the Antarctic peninsula. I've been working down there for the past 6 years and you can't go wrong being on the peninsula from December-March. I looked at the itinerary of your cruise and you'll be going through the Lemaire and likely Neumayer which are some of the most beautiful channels in all of Antarctica.

As for kayaking, 700USD seems extremely expensive in terms of value for money. I don't know how long the excursion is but can't imagine it being more than an hour or two. Things to consider: you won't get very far in that timeframe, you can't get close to glaciers or icebergs in the kayak, and you will likely get cold within an hour of paddling. Is it worth it? Maybe if you have a strong desire to but trying to get on more zodiac trips will increase your chances of seeing more wildlife and more hard to reach places.