Another reason to Cruise

Nov 10th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Another reason to Cruise

I am surprised that everyone has been so quiet here about the Carnival Splendor accident. Here is my take:

When an engine blow up in mid-air on a plane, you are going to have a spectacular crash. When an engine blow up on a train, you have a good chance of a de-railment. When an engine blow up on a bus (or car) you have a good chance of hitting the ditch and get hurt.

When an engine blow up on a crusie ship, you float around but you are still safe and sound, just a bit of discomfort, and you survive. Even if the ship is on fire, and worst case scenario - sunk, you still have you life boats, and you live.

Crusie ships, by far, is the safest mode of transportation, with the lowest death rate both in number and percentage.

That's another reason why we should cruise rather than fly or drive.
Nov 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM

Nice take, Eschew. Thanks for the smile.
Nov 11th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Good point.... While I am not a Carnaval fan, I have to say this cruise line seems to have absolutely provided maximum compensation on what was, obviously, not a dream cruise . For the longest time I thought they didn't have working toilets, but now I see that is one of the few things that did work (love those auxiliary engines....). Based on what I'm hearing, my regular recommendation to go for a balcony room - just another reason to add to the list....
Nov 11th, 2010, 11:21 AM

I was on a train when the rail broke under it, and we were in remote mountains... took what seemed forever for an engineer to arrive to let us crawl over the crack.

It was a 3-day train ride with a 2-day food supply. Good thing, we knew Amtrak is always late, and most people had munchies.

Arriving at 1 am to our destination instead of the scheduled 6 pm was not fun for travelers - at least they had me to tell them where to catch a taxi that time!

By the way, do you know on this cruise they had free booze? It's true, I posted a link in another thread. Not sure it helped - think beer and non-working toilets, but they had it!
Nov 11th, 2010, 05:30 PM

I heard about this omg. I know this one guy who dislikes Carnival will tell me this is another reason why Carnival is not the best cruiseline. He loves RCC. I had really good experience with Carnival and they met my and my family's needs. I'm just glad no one was hurt or worse. Still this will hurt Carnival's business.
Nov 12th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

From what I could have gathered so far, it is free booze and the toilets worked later on. I wonder if they put a basket on the side for the TP ...

The compensation is full refund, a free cruise (same ship same itenary) or a discount off another cruise / ship.

On the interviews, most people had taken it in good spirit but there was a compliant on the cold spam sandwich and said it was a trip to hell. I wonder what the passenegrs on the Titanic would have said ...

Yes, Debi, that would be a good reason to have a balcony. How often you think it is going to happen?

The last time I was on a Carnival ships was years ago. We were almost convinced to get on the Splendor earlier this year (Augsut) but the time just didn't work out. My friends and his family loved the ship. I wonder what they would think if they are on this last ride.
Nov 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Hmmm ... but don't most people have to take a plane to get to their cruise departure port?