anchorage to vancouver

Mar 19th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

anchorage to vancouver

My wife and I booked an inside passage cruise out of Vancouver but got a flight into Seattle. We arrive the morning before the cruise, and fly out 4 days after the cruise. We would appreciate any tips on getting from Seattle to Vancouver and things to do in Vancouver for a few days. Thanks in advance for any input.
Mar 19th, 2014, 06:31 AM

Just a point of clarification, your cruise is round trip Vancouver?
Mar 19th, 2014, 04:19 PM

You don't say which cruise line you are on, but Holland America ( at least) has a bus that takes you from SEA to Vancouver to the cruise port. Vancouver is fabulous city with lots to do. Can take the ferry to Victoria, Bouchard Gardens etc. Hard not to find things to do in Vancouver.
Mar 19th, 2014, 07:21 PM

I understand that there is a train (similar to the Rocky Mountaineer) which goes from Seattle to Vancouver.
How are you getting from Anchorage to Vancouver? When we did a similar trip a few years ago, we were told that we would have to fly to Anchorage to Seattle and then back to Vancouver.
We had four nights in Vancouver and stayed at the Blue Horizon hotel which we would recommend. We spent a day at Grouse Mountain, another day walked to Stanley Park and Gas Town and and another day we did a full day coach tour to Victoria and Bouchart Gardens
Mar 20th, 2014, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, yes our cruise is from Vancouver and back to Vancouver. We will not be in Anchorage at all. We are on Holland America, so I will call about the shuttle. I will investigate the other suggestions, much appreciated.
Mar 20th, 2014, 07:58 AM

Hi!

You can take Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver - it is beautiful scenery with tidal flats, ocean views, the Cascade Mountains, the Olympic Mountains - all very scenic and the train is wonderful. The traffic in Seattle is almost always awful, but it is a straight shot drive from Sea-Tac airport up I-5 to the U.S. Canada border, which turns into Highway 1 in Canada and drops almost right into downtown Vancouver.

As far as Vancouver, I'd go to the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology, walk/stroll/bike around Stanley Park, visit False Creek and Granville Island, take a day tour to Victoria (it will be a LONG day!) (or do an overnight) and check out some of the great restaurants in Vancouver - the Asian community is strong and large, but fresh fish is also delicious. Be sure to get a "Japan Dog."

Best Regards,
Julia
Mar 23rd, 2014, 04:21 PM

If you go to the Canada forum and put Vancouver in the search box you should see threads with lots of suggestions. It's a fabulous city.
Mar 23rd, 2014, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, looking forward to a great trip.