Alaskan Cruisetour

Old Apr 12th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaskan Cruisetour

I'm planning an Alaskan cruise for a family of 4 with 2 teenagers (15 and 14) and would appreciate any advice from experienced cruisers. We'd like to include a visit to Denali and would like to know which cruise ships, ports and excursions would provide the most memorable experience and value.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Hi, We went on an Alaskan cruise with Holland America about 3years ago. Ports of call were Skagway, Junau, Ketchikan. Great sights, lovely people in all the ports, Sailing into Tracy Arm and watching the ice break off, and seeing the whales breaching was a wonderful experience. One I would do again given chance. I was disappointed with Holland America though. The crew in Dining were rude, and impolite. The food was not brilliant, and although I suppose it was value for money, I would give the Princess cruises 10 out of 10 for their hospitality.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 03:03 AM

I do not recommend cruisetours for families. You are FAR better off touring interior Alaska independently, very very simple to do. Would this be an option for you?? A cruisetour will likely have your kids the only ones. The fixed timeframes and point to point travel is lacking. You can see and do triple for lower costs going on your own.

As for HAL, they have excellent itineraries in Alaska, Sorry, but ALL the major cruiselines have cut back in their food department, and HAL is not known for this single report of "rudness". Not sure if this poster traveled Alaska on Princess??

You would be better off, doing some homework. Find out specifics about ports, glaciers, and what YOU wish to accomplish in your touring. Then fit in a ship that has those priorities. Head to your library take out Alaska travel books along with Alaska by Cruiseship.

As for Denali Park, as suggested above, if at all available for independent travel here, do so. A RV is an excellent option to consider for a family. Are you going this year?? Currently there may be coupon offers for discounts, with Northern Lights or Toursaver. Search for details. I suggest you add at least 5 days. Then you could route in Seward, which is a gem, loaded with plenty of great touring.

At Denali Park, the bargain of bargains in Alaska is the shuttle buses- you need to consider this to at least Eielson. IF you are intent on only a cruisetour, you need an itineray with 2 nights at Denali park. (not the McKinley Princess, if you go with them), AND absolutely NEVER consider any cruisetour with the Natural History tour, ONLY the Tundra Wilderness tour. A BIG difference with the first, totally worthless.

What is your timeframe, can also impact on some planning.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:55 AM

We went with Celebrity, and scheduled the land tour through them - and it was fabulous. It overnighted in Denali, and it was an outstanding experience. Since I don't know anything about Alaska, and really didn't want to spend hours trying to figure out things - AND the fact that we had an amazing TA - we made the right decision for us. Each of the cruise lines had their own train cars, and the service - and the experience - was one of the highlights of the cruise. The cruise we took was a Celebrity northbound, and took took care of everything. Loved it, loved it, loved it.....
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Dear All,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions. Since we're planning to cruise in August, I still have time to do a little research. Definitely reconsidering the cruisetour.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 03:15 AM

Listen to Budget Queen (BQ). We did when we went several years ago, and it worked out great. We flew into Anchorage several days early--our cruise was going from Seward to Vancouver. We were only two, so we rented a car at the airport, overnighted in Anchorage, and drove toward Denali. The weather was so good, we stopped in Talkeetna for a flight over McKinley using a Toursaver 2-for-1 coupon. Then drove up to a B&B near Denali. As BQ suggested, we had pre-purchased tickets on the Park shuttle to Eielson for the next day. After the Park, we drove back to Talkeetna, where we stayed a couple of days (walked around, took a riverboat excursion (again 2-for-1), etc. Then we returned to Anchorage for our transfer to Seward and our cruise. At the end of the cruise, we spent a few days in the Vancouver area. You can certainly expand this itinerary or alter it on other ways.