Alaska ports

Jun 29th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Alaska ports

Going on an Alaskan cruise soon that will stop at the following ports: Juneau, Skagway,Ketchikan, Tracy Arm and Victoria. Any good things to see within walking distance of any of these ports?
Jun 29th, 2003, 08:46 AM

In Juneau, the State of Alaska Museum is excellent. We also enjoyed the Juneau-Douglas City Museum and the State Capitol. We ran out of time before we got to take the Mt. Roberts tram, and do some hiking at the top.

In Skagway, the White Pass and Yukon RR is wonderful, as are the National Park Service Exhibit, film and walking tour. We also liked the City Hall Museum and the Corrington Museum.

In Ketchikan, I'd recommend the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center, and the Totem Heritage Center.
Jun 29th, 2003, 01:30 PM

Agree with Abraham. On Victoria:

The downtown is about a 20 or 30 minute walk. As of two days ago, the cab fare from the cruise ship terminal to downtown was $5 US one way, regardless of the number of passengers. The shuttle fare (Greyline)is $5 Can. roundtrip (about $4 US). I would go with the cab, even for one person, due to the extremely long lines for the buses upon return. There were two ships docked (a Princess with up to 3500 passengers, and our HAL ship with about 1500) and both ships were scheduled to depart around the same time and the buses for both ships pick up passengers at the same busy street corner. We took a cab back, even though we'd bought a rt ticket for the bus because it looked like we'd be standing in line for the bus forever. The cabs are right there waiting to pick people up where the buses are. (We weren't looking for cabs when we arrived and hopped on the bus to go into town - for the 3 of us, a cab would have been cheaper all around.)
Jun 29th, 2003, 01:32 PM

Oops! Sorry Abram. I read it Abraham. Same but different name.
Jul 1st, 2003, 05:21 AM

I took my first helicopter ride in Juneau and landed on the icefield. My first seaplane ride in Ketchikan and landed on the most tranquil lake ever. The cog railway in Skagway completed the 'trilogy'. I was alone on the first two and with my wife on the railway. A great cruise.
Jul 1st, 2003, 06:19 AM

All ports are walkable from the ship with Victoria a toss up. Tracy Arm is not a port- sail to glacier. BUT I would strongly urge you to look over a shore excursion list, there is far more to touring Alaska then the city areas. Vast great choices unavailable anywhere else. I've done all the above "stuff" but as secondary to better tours.

Search this Thread