Search

Alaska on Princess HELP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alaska on Princess HELP

Hi everyone,
I have been looking at the Golden Princess sailing from Seattle to Alaska in June. I will be traveling with two teenage girls and have several questions..

1)Many people have told me to get a balcony room when sailing in Alaska, therefore I've been looking at the mini suite. The cheapest rate I can find sailing June 2 on the Golden Princess is $1300 per person from cruisequick. Is this a good deal? Two years ago I spent $1000 per person for a 7 day caribbean on the Grand Princes, but now thats about how much an outside cabin costs on the Golden!

2)Are there any other great websites like cruise quick that really have GOOD deals on cruises? So far sites like cruises.com and cruisecompete.com haven't been very impressive.

3) Do you think prices will go down in March or April when I can get a 90 day deal from vacationstogo.com?

4) Has anyone sailed on both the Sun Princess and the Golden Princess that can compare the two ships?

Thanks,
Ingrid
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:51 AM

Alaska is going to be more expensive than the Caribbean in both the cruise fare and also in excursions.

I like both ships but teens will probably like the Golden better. The minisuites on the Sun Princess are going to be higher priced than the Golden as they are about the same size as regular suites on the Golden Princess. I personally prefer the Sun Class ships - they are smaller and have a better layout IMO. There is no indoor pool on the Sun Princess.

In the past, there have been some great deals for Alaska for May sailings and early June but if you need a quad cabin, I wouldn't wait. There are not that many quad cabins available and there are no guarantees that there will be specials for when you need to go.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:34 PM

Hi Ingrid. Do a search on my ID - BronxGuy... I have a good tip for you on one of the other threads.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:59 PM

I have sailed on the Sun...staterooms are pretty small, but sufficient.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM

I've been on the Sun and the Grand (which I believe is sister of the Golden-exactly the same). They are very similar with the Grand being bigger. Same names to the lounges -Wheelhouse lounge, etc.,- Staterooms were the same size. My recollection is that on the Grand Princess when taking early dinner you got to see two shows a night if you cared to. I never understood the advantage of a balcony stateroom for all the extra money. Just walk outside on deck and you can see everything. Plus you have others to chat with. Who needs all that privacy on a cruise?
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 12:13 PM

I agree with Bronx Guy. If you can easily afford to get the balcony rooms then do, but if this extra cost is what's holding you back then just book the regular staterooms!

Alaska is a once in a lifetime type of trip and your teenage girls will have fun no matter what (and what teen really notices or cares about a balcony? they'll probably be busy checking out the cute guys, swimming in the pool & doing all of the things that teens do...LOL).

You can see all of the sights just as well from the deck and you'll probably be so busy doing land excursions, going to shows, eating, etc. that you won't even notice not having a balcony.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM

We are booked on the Oosterdam for Alaska in high season. Have been on the Sky, Sun, Amsterdam, Ryndam, Grand, Star, and others that don't come to mind at this moment. My thought is, after reviewing the pros and cons, that HAL has better programs for youngsters and used to have better service. The Grand was good, as far as not feeling crowded in a large ship. We always go for a balcony, for the privacy factor, and so you don't miss things to see (i.e., whales, dolphins, etc.) Beleive me, the girls will have a ball. we have taken kids before and they were in heaven, not as much for the scenery, but the social scene)