Reload this Page >

Alaska Holland America or Princess

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 04:18 PM
Mike Miller

Input please on which line and why. We are a group of 8 "boomer" couples planning our Alaska cruise for 2001 and we have heard pro and con on each line such as: "Princess does not do a good job with placing groups' rooms together nor providing together seating at dinner"; or "Holland America has great service but every one is in bed by 10pm." We are searching for the truth!

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 08:16 PM
April

I've only been on one Holland America cruise, but everyone was definitely not in bed by 10:00. I think either line will be a good choice. <BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 12:36 AM
nellie

I have done Alaska 4X and have been on both cruise lines to Alaska. If food is important go on HAL if shipboard activities is impt then go on Princess. They are both good bec. they know Alaska and have first berth priority over other cruise lines for they have been sailing Alaska for a long long time. If you are just doing inside passage meaning Vancouver to Vancouver both of them go to Glacier Bay due they have lisc. to enter. If you are afraid of motion sickness choose a cruise without Sitka as a port. But others will say that you are missing the beautiful Russian civilization. If you are doing the Glacier Bay route meaning Vancouver to Anchorage or vice versa then Princess has more choices of destinations in what they call the real Alaska. If ship accomodation is important HAL has better choices. The Princess new ships have tiny cabins for inside and their outside is not as big as their old ones (Crown/Regal) anymore. My advice for cabin selection is splurge on a balcony it is well worth it. You only need a blanket and warm clothes and you can sit down and look at the view the whole time. Unlike on cruises to the Caribbean ..Alaska's inside passage has beautiful scenery all throughout your cruise.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 02:08 PM
Karen

We were on a HA cruise/tour in early July. We always choose a room with a verandah, but this time we were in total fog the whole time...fortunately, our ship cruise was just three nights and we got off at Skagway for the tour part of the trip. It was wonderful and we were so glad we hadn't chosen the whole inland passage cruise. To get inland for eight nights, two of them in the Yukon, with a bus and full time guide(who was superb) really made us feel as if we'd seen and learned alot more of Alaska. This was totally arranged by HA, using their own hotels throughout the bus tour. I believe Princess does much the same type tours with their own hotels, but we had done three other HA cruises, with great satisfaction, and so went with them.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 03:05 PM
ggagne

Definitely HA. If you are going as a group, choose at least one or two balconies on each side of the ship. That way you are assured to have the perfect viewing for part of the gang at all times. All HA ships have a wonderful wrap around deck with more than enough room for all passengers to see everything. We always choose an inside cabin on the promenade deck. It's a short walk to the deck and we always have privacy as if the whole place is ours. HA has fairly large ships with smaller number of passengers thus everyone has plenty of room. There is a fairly large proportion of older passengers but life does not end at 10:00. Service is wonderful late at night because so many people are gone to bed early. If quality of service and larger rooms is important, definitely go HAL. Have fun it's a wonderful trip.

Old Jan 12th, 2000, 07:42 PM
Denise

You shouldn't be worried about a particular cruise line not arranging your group together in the dining room. This is actually what your travel agent does. <BR>If you want a good cruise line with good service and the passengers aren't in bed by 10pm I would recommend either Princess Cruises (new ships) or Celebrity Cruises. <BR>If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Karen

Sailed on HAL Ryndam Vancouver-Seward in June '98. Fabulous trip. Went with our friends who've sailed on Princess a few times. They report that the HAL staterooms were markedly larger. We did not book a verandah room - window view was fine and there was so much to see on both port and starboard sides (as well as forward and to the rear) that one really wanted to spend time on the many, spacious decks where one could walk from side to side. Hot chocolate and soup is served and everyone had plenty of room. We were certainly up late - remember, daylight lasts a LONG time - the view from the "Crow's Nest" Lounge 'way up high in the front of the ship LONG after dinner is wonderful. The 2-story dining room aft has walls of windows. Our itinerary included Sitka and Hubbard Glacier (along with College Fiord and Valdez). Email me if any questions.

Old Jan 31st, 2000, 03:49 PM
Rose

Being a boomer my self, I recommend HA. I have been on 4 so far and on waiting list for 5th. You will not believe how far HA will go for customer satisfaction. My mom wanted a certain waiter for her 80th birthday dinner. He was someone she had enjoyed talking to the year before. He had also hoped to serve her. Both of them wrote the main office and he was transfered to our ship. You will have the time of your life if you choose that line. Be sure to go to the evening show put on by the crew. It is always fabulous and interesting. Enjoy Alaska.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 02:33 PM
allison

We went on our first cruise ever on HAL to the Inside Passage in Ju/99. It was great! We are 'boomers' and took parents with us. The 8 p.m. dinner seating allowed for day port travel on our own and a superb show at 10 p.m. followed daily. Eat 5-7 course meals in the main dining room often! A variety of lounges for 11 p.m- ? exist to accomodate all tastes in music. Choc-oholics love the midnite buffet! I will go again on HAL. Their club for repeaters has pricey deals next time... <BR>Enjoy the dressy occasions, too.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 09:07 PM
Karen

Oops...I want on HAL and there were some nights when I was in bed at 10pm. I had the best honeymoon of my life and love HAL! Karen <BR>P.S. I'm 28 years old and don't have blue hair

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 05:39 PM
Andy

Went on 20 day HA cruise with land tour. The ship service was great as was food. Was very unimpressed with land portion of the holland america cruisetour. Princess seemed to do a better job with the land tour. Not all holland america hotels had AC and we determined the Princess hotels did. If I had to do a land tour again I'd choose Princess instead of HA. Don't know if cruise experience on princess is better.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 02:49 AM
jilly

I have been on both cruise lines to Alaska. I was 34 when I was on Princess and then went on HAL 4 years later. I would personally rate the HAL cruise as superior (not that there was anything wrong with Princess though). HAL had better food, service and entertainment and little extra ammenities that Princess didn't have. I'd rate HAL as a 9 and Princess as a 7+. Enjoy.